Speeding cyclist, Richmond Park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simontm

Veteran
41MPH, I could do better :laugh:

A couple of things: 1) There is no law about speeding on a bike - how did the prosecution happen? Was it cycling ferociously? Anyone? Bueller?

2) Why did he admit it? I would have said: "Was I. Sorry, but I don't have a speedometer. "

Bit worried about all this low hanging fruit that ignores drivers frankly.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Royal Parks have their own byelaws, I believe the speed limit in Richmond Park is 20mph for everything. Actually having now read the article it states that.

Also he was caught by a speed trap, without a speedo so very specifically was told how fast he was going, rather than knowing it. Although overtaking cars kind of gives the game away because you know they aren't going to be travelling below the speed limit...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
They'll do you in the park if they catch you speeding on a bike - seen it happen a couple of times and they regularly lay in ambush with speed guns. It's a delicate balance to enjoy the rewards of the climbs by going a but quick on the downhill sections. I sometimes feel sorry for the drivers in there who sit at 20mph, one minute they're caught behind riders for ages the next the same riders who were puffing on the climbs are up their rear bumper or passing them on the downside...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
It's hardly the crime of the century to go a bit faster than 20, imho. pedestrians have mile upon mile of tracks there and open land, so as not to have to walk in the middle of the road. Likewise animals don't go in the road unless it's a mass deer crossing and everybody slows and stops when that happens.

OP
OP
Simontm

Simontm

Veteran
I know it's a different rules etc. I am just saying that I think I would have fought it as I am unaware of the precise speed I am doing as I don't have a speedometer - being able to overtake another vehicle is not an indicator of speed.

It is the general principle of this rather than someone bombing around a park. I wouldn't be surprised if I have regularly broken the speed limit in Bushy Park but I would have no idea until I got home and looked at my phone.

This is an interesting read about Richmond Park

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
It's hardly the crime of the century to go a bit faster than 20, imho. pedestrians have mile upon mile of tracks there and open land, so as not to have to walk in the middle of the road. Likewise animals don't go in the road unless it's a mass deer crossing and everybody slows and stops when that happens.

I genuinely don't mean to exaggerate what you have said, or put words in your mouth, but a motorist could also say "It's hardly the crime of the century to go a bit faster than 30mph". Roads are for people, not contraptions. Parks are for people, not contraptions. Cyclists are permitted to use them as long as we do so considerately and lawfully. Even if I don't agree with the 20mph limit, I keep to it.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Good. Parks are not for speeding cars or cyclists but for animals or pedestrians.
Not what the Royal Parks say...

I know it's a different rules etc. I am just saying that I think I would have fought it as I am unaware of the precise speed I am doing as I don't have a speedometer - being able to overtake another vehicle is not an indicator of speed.
Your ability to measure your speed is not a requirement for it to be enforced any more than my inability to accurately measure my blood alcohol level is an excuse for being over the drink-drive limit.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
windinthewillows3.jpg

Comin' thru'!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yeah - forgot about the MTB'ers. I think the Tamsin trail is a very different kettle of fish to the road. The 10mph max signs on sections of it are a good idea and generally well observed...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Sorry, the parks are for speeding cars and speeding cyclists?
de jure perhaps not. de facto yes. But I was getting more at

The corporate objectives and key performance targets for The Royal Parks in 2014/15 are:

1. To conserve and enhance sustainably, for the enjoyment of this and future generations, our world class natural and built historic environment and our biodiversity.

2. To engage with our visitors, stakeholders and partner organisations and understand their views.

3. To manage the parks efficiently and secure investment in the parks' assets and services through an appropriate combination of government funding, commercial income and philanthropy.

4. To be a centre of professional excellence where people want to work

So not much mention of pedestrians and animals ;)

OP
OP
Simontm

Simontm

Veteran
Your ability to measure your speed is not a requirement for it to be enforced any more than my inability to accurately measure my blood alcohol level is an excuse for being over the drink-drive limit.

Rot. You have legal guidance as to what is the drink/drive limit and how many units a glass of beer/wine etc roughly equals that. Therefore, it is of reasonable expectation for you to know whether you are under the limit or not.

Without a speedometer, there is no reasonable expectation of knowing what speed - it is purely subjective, do you feel like you are breaking the speed limit. Overtaking a car is not an indication of speed, it is an indication that you are going faster than someone else.

Top Bottom