Speeding up road rash recovary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
I have never been bothered by painful scabs or whatever, just shrugged them off as war wounds and though "that's life".

But now my arse is completely covered in road rash.....HELP, somebody wave a wand and get it to go away!

Anybody ever put creams onto road rash to help it heal faster?
If so what creams etc..

(bring on the arsey comments, I'm ready for them)

Shea Butter, I was told by my quack to use this on my op scars, kept everything nice and soft and clean, scabs almost fell off in my sleep and quickly too

deep%20heat%20max%20cream.jpg

:smile:

Fiona N

Veteran
The fastest way to heal road rash is using the hydrocolloid dressings which seal the wound so that it is not necessary to develop a hard dry scab to protect the open skin. Boots have them in own label as well as various other makes but they all work basically in the same way. They usually look like big clear jelly patches.
It's taken medical science a while to realise that scabbing over wounds is just the body's first defence against infection and actually slows down healing.. If you remove the necessity for the scabbing, the healing processes can act much quicker. I think this is something the old medicine women used to know with their poltices, which kept a wound damp but closed off from sources of infection (assuming the poltice was sterile). Using stuff like shea butter or the Australian gunk called Unvita (vitamen A ointment) by creating an oily surface helps to slow the drying of the wound but it is not very effective compared to an airtight seal as with the hydrocolloid dressings.

Bodhbh

Guru
I have some on my elbow which has been there 2, 3, 4 months I loose count now. It scabs up, after the scab drops off it blisters, the blister bursts, it scabs again, on and on. I think the scab that just dropped off is the end of it, but will see. Hydrocolloid is the same stuff they use in blister plasters now? Might give it a go, although I've gotten used to it as a battle scar and talking point now ("is taht still on your elbow?", "leave it alone will you").

Fiona N said:
The fastest way to heal road rash is using the hydrocolloid dressings which seal the wound so that it is not necessary to develop a hard dry scab to protect the open skin. Boots have them in own label as well as various other makes but they all work basically in the same way. They usually look like big clear jelly patches.
It's taken medical science a while to realise that scabbing over wounds is just the body's first defence against infection and actually slows down healing.. If you remove the necessity for the scabbing, the healing processes can act much quicker. I think this is something the old medicine women used to know with their poltices, which kept a wound damp but closed off from sources of infection (assuming the poltice was sterile). Using stuff like shea butter or the Australian gunk called Unvita (vitamen A ointment) by creating an oily surface helps to slow the drying of the wound but it is not very effective compared to an airtight seal as with the hydrocolloid dressings.

They used this on my daughter 15 years ago when she was recovering from a scalding injury. It is a shame they didn't use it on here graft donor site which is very much like a road rash.

My friend is suffering in the same way now as he had a graft done a few weeks ago. They just leave it to dry out under a dressing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Feel for you....I removed a 6" x 6" patch off my ass....left the rest on the Cat and Fiddle....... rode home the 15 miles with my rather red booty showing, and ruined a new pair of shorts.....

Top Bottom