speedos in Italy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rsvdaz

off to Italy end of next month with the family and doing a bit of a grand tour...flying into Venice hiring a car and travelling down to Naples
have a few places to visit/stop over notably:

Venice
Verona/Lake Garda
Florence
Pisa
Rome
Naples/Ercelano/Pompiei and hopefully Amelfi coast

should I be considering any other places on my route?

lastly the reason of the thread Title..I know some euro countries get funny about shorts in hotel pools..we are staying in Holiday Inn Hotels....does anyone know if Italians insist on speedo type trunks?

gavintc

Guru
rsvdaz said:
off to Italy end of next month with the family and doing a bit of a grand tour...flying into Venice hiring a car and travelling down to Naples
have a few places to visit/stop over notably:

Venice
Verona/Lake Garda
Florence
Pisa
Rome
Naples/Ercelano/Pompiei and hopefully Amelfi coast

should I be considering any other places on my route?

lastly the reason of the thread Title..I know some euro countries get funny about shorts in hotel pools..we are staying in Holiday Inn Hotels....does anyone know if Italians insist on speedo type trunks?

I have only recently arrived, so my info is not 100%. However, bathing caps seem to be the norm and some pools insist on speedos. I am uncertain what the difference between the types of pools I have used is. Italians are much more comfortable to wear speedos on the beach etc than we are.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Like this...

6a00d834520b4b69e20120a53e2655970c-800wi.jpg

matc

I have been here since when blessed Silvio was merely a lovely cuddly telly magnate. Your man above is pretty much spot on. Bring both and expect there to be no consistency whatsoever.

Oh, and if you're 'doing' Pisa then do Lucca as well - just half an hour away. Hire a (crap) bike and do a few giri of the walls.

OP
OP
rsvdaz

rsvdaz

gavintc said:
To be honest a flappier bit of cloth around the waist does not really change the look.

probably not..its just the belly doesnt hang over all of the front if the shorts are bermuda lenght!

is Capua worth a visit?..are there any ruins still there?

gavintc

Guru
Not done Capua yet. But friends tell me that the above ground bits are better at Capua than Pozzuoli, but the below ground bits are better at Pozzuoli. We went to Pozzuoli just after we arrived and the underground area where the gladiators and animals were kept is in amazingly good condition. If you go to Capua, the amphitheatre is in Capua Vetere a few km to the east, not in Capua itself.

OP
OP
rsvdaz

rsvdaz

added to my list!..as a well as Pozzuoli..in fact thats very close to my Naples based hotel!
I note Lucca is on route from Florence to Pisa so thats on my list as well

gavintc

Guru
rsvdaz said:
added to my list!..as a well as Pozzuoli..in fact thats very close to my Naples based hotel!
I note Lucca is on route from Florence to Pisa so thats on my list as well

Shame I am not here - could have taken you out for a ride. We start our holiday in north Italy at then end of Jul. I cycle through Pozzouli every day on my commute, so know this area very well. It is a nice little town and you can get a ferry to Ischia and Procida from there. If you are nearby, have a look at the sulfatara - it is effectively a bubbling volcano with the hot sulphur fumes coming through the ground. It is worth an hour walk around - quite interesting.

You could always go for a compromise with budgie smugglers, the lycra hot pants type short shorts. You can also buy swimming shorts the same style as cycle shorts but without the bum pad. Not bibs of course.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
AWM said:
You can not vist Tuscany without visiting San Gimignano and Siena. Two of the most beautiful cities you will ever have the pleasure of visting. As ever a day for each.

Agreed. Do that thang! Lucca is also fab. The ride round the walls isn't much of a ride, but very pretty. I stayed there a few yrs ago... went for a run round the walls a few times too. Lovely place. I love Italy!

matc

The ride round the walls isn't much of a ride, but very pretty.
It can be made more of a ride. End of July - temperatures of high 30's, humidity, what 95%? So, be sure to go about 3 in the afternoon. Anyone sane will be indoors/in shade. So you'll be able to get some speed up. But (top insider tip here) - be sure to get a bike with a saddle that won't lock, at least one seriously soft tire, a pedal that should come of after 5 minutes and brakes that are more conceptual thatn functional. Believe me, this is easy to arrange.

No sun cream, no headgear. You have a ride.

Or hire one of the bike-rickshaws and go on the walls. Oh wait, you can't. Some people killed themselves by riding off the walls a few years back.

Top Bottom