Speedplay Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gert Lush

Hello,

I'm just looking for a bit of advice about these pedals and whether they'd be suitable for me. I'm looking at the Zero Chrome-Moly ones.

I currently have a pair of Shimano A530 pedals and I find that if I struggle to clip in after I push off and I with my cycling shoes I cannot grip the other side of the pedal so I can get going before fiddling and trying to clip in. I was thinking of getting SPD-SL pedals and figured I would have the same problems as with the pedals I have now.

I then noticed the Speedplay Pedals and because they are double sided and apparently you just push down on the pedal to clip in, I think I might get on better and I was just wondering whether people who have got these pedals could give me their experiences with them please.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

P.S I've done a search and didn't find anything quite like my question, apologies if I missed something.

I use Speedplay Light Actions pedals and cleats, which are even more user friendly than the Zeros.

They're not cheap, of course, and both pedals and cleats need regular maintenance. You'll need road-compatible shoes. It's a bit of an outlay up front, but I've never regretted it.

Any particular questions, just ask.

ETA: if you want double-sided MTB-compatible cleats, have a look at the Speedplay Frogs.

Citius

Hello,

I'm just looking for a bit of advice about these pedals and whether they'd be suitable for me. I'm looking at the Zero Chrome-Moly ones.

I currently have a pair of Shimano A530 pedals and I find that if I struggle to clip in after I push off and I with my cycling shoes I cannot grip the other side of the pedal so I can get going before fiddling and trying to clip in. I was thinking of getting SPD-SL pedals and figured I would have the same problems as with the pedals I have now.

I then noticed the Speedplay Pedals and because they are double sided and apparently you just push down on the pedal to clip in, I think I might get on better and I was just wondering whether people who have got these pedals could give me their experiences with them please.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

P.S I've done a search and didn't find anything quite like my question, apologies if I missed something.

Just get some normal double-sided SPDs, like the M520 - problem solved, for less than £20.

ayceejay

Guru
Given the specific problems I don't personally think Speedplays will be the answer. Have a look at
Crank Brothers eggbeaters, I have both and the eggbeaters will fit the bill I think especially if any walking
is involved

@Gert Lush I have used Speedplay Zero's on my road bike for around 4 years. Once you have had a little experience with them, yes you just put your foot down and you are in!. They will feel very secure and are fully adjustable for float.
I use them even for commuting and they are perfect for drag racing off the lights, ( unless the other person is track standing)
I have used egg-eaters for cross and shimano SPD's for MTB, when I put these on a road bike I can rip my feet out of them in a hard sprint, which really hurts crashing your kness into the bars. I used too use Loo Keo road pedals but would find myself kicking them upside down once in a while when trying to clip in and annoyed the cack out of me.
So I love them, however there are downsides, they cost a lot, if you use them for commuting you will wear the cleat out on the foot you put down quite quickly . I do around 800 miles a month the left cleat lasts around 6 months and they cost around 35 quid for a pair.
If you stand in sand or mud and it gets behind the cleat circlip you will not get your foot out until you get the crap out. Its happened to me twice.
If you buy the pedals make sure you buy the cafe covers for walking or your cleats wont last long.
As to maintenance you are suppose to spray the cleat with teflon lubricant, I only bothered with my first set for the first week, never bothered after that.
My first set of pedals I never bothered to re-grease, they lasted 2 years (say 14,000 miles) before the bearings totally gave up. My current set I have lubricated every 3 months or so and still going strong after around 20,000 miles.
If you are just doing social rides or a club run etc you wont be clipping in and out very often so you might want to put up with a little faffing about getting clipped in, instead of the cost, 95% of the members of my road club use bog standard look keo type pedals and are happy with them, myself I cant do without the little beauties.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Like @Citius said, nowt wrong with standard SPDs unless the cleats won't fit your shoes or you don't get on with them for some other reason. There's a small, poncy bit of me that doesn't like to see MTB pedals on a road bike, but it won't kill me.

Apart from that, I'd agree with everything Harry has said; look after pedals by regreasing the bearings regularly and get covers for the cleats and USE THEM. I've learned both the hard way after having to do an impromptu single leg drill for six lumpy miles after a dry pedal bearing seized and had to remove my first set of cleats with an angle grinder after the plate screws had worn to shoot.

boydj

Legendary Member
For many years now I've been using Speedplay Frogs for commuting and all my other riding - club runs, sportives etc - got 3 pairs. These are a nice light pedal which you use with recessed cleats and mtb/touring shoes. Like all Speedplays they are a bit more expensive than SPDs. On the plus side, there are no springs to worry about, but they are very secure and easy to get into as they are double-sided. They do require regular greasing, but that's a 5-minute job, since they have a grease port accessed via a small screw.

I prefer a recessed cleat so that I can walk normally at cafe stops.

Top Bottom