Speedy Ride for food : Surrey/Sussex and back : Sat 20th August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dangis

I would also like to sign up, for my 3rd ride with CC gang. The previous two were pretty solid, see you later brothers.

iZaP

Über Member
Sorry Ian, gotta pull out.

Still haven't really sorted out my tyres after the fnrttc...
blush.gif

U

User10571

Still haven't really sorted out my tyres after the fnrttc...
blush.gif

We probably need to talk...
whistling.gif

I'd suggest a trip over to Forest Hill before 07:00 tomorrow but, to be truthful, I've had a day's worth of cycle maintenance today.

Stay in touch and I'm sure we can sort you out some skinny rubber.

thom

____
Thanks everyone and Simon/Ian especially for the event management : 110 miles just ticked over as I rolled under HPC. The afternoon sun was great, as was the route and the alternative cake stop. A couple of us noticed how funny it was to come back the reverse London-Brighton route in daylight and feel the traffic tension slowly rise.

Hope everyone got home ok,
Cheers,
Thom.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thank you all for coming. It was a great ride and a great day with great company. A nice and speedy ride to Petworth for lunch and a beer and back again. The peleton splitting at Box Hill, some heading back to Central London and 4 of use up and over Box Hill and on to SE London.

Here's the Garmin stats...
130 miles for the day. Once again thanks all and hope to see you for September Ride which will be the Olympic Road Route.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Excellant lil route that, good stretch of the legs!

Not quite sure of the scenery as I was either wiping sweat from my eyes with ALL them hills or going too fast to look around. But of what I saw, quite fab, manymany thanks!

U

User10571

If anyone who was on today's ride is struggling to get to sleep tonight, it'll most likely be because of some uncommon wickedness on your part, in a previous life, for which you are now facing the consequences. Like some tortured character in a dark corner of a Bosch or Breughel painting.

The rest of us will sleep. Each like an infant pressed into the softness of its mother's bosom. Very soon, I suspect.

Back to the ride:

*Ahem*
The Hills.
There seemed to be rather a lot of them.
In fact, did we have all of them, by any chance?
At times it certainly felt that way.

I am astonished at my rolling average showing 15.1 mph - given the amount of hillage involved - I was expecting it to show much less.

Does anyone have the stats for how much climbing we did today? Please.

I'm also showing 119.16 miles on today's trip meter (I've rounded it off to 120+ by taking the other bike for a ride to the supermarket)
That's 119 miles of cycling in very fine company, for which I'll thank you all, and Dellzeqq in particular for the plotting and doing the Le Patron bit.

Have I mentioned the hills on today's ride?

Editiness: Oh, and Henfold fishing place is an excellent venue for a tea and CAKE stop!

gbs

Guru
Especially thanks to to Simon and Ian for leading and organising - we had a very good day and to every body for the good company and for hanging around for the backmarkers.

My own stats were 153k with 1540m of ascent (as measured by ridewithGPS) having bailed out at Dorking; that is equivalent to 14/15 laps of RP.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
If anyone who was on today's ride is struggling to get to sleep tonight, it'll most likely be because of some uncommon wickedness on your part, in a previous life, for which you are now facing the consequences. Like some tortured character in a dark corner of a Bosch or Breughel painting.

The rest of us will sleep. Each like an infant pressed into the softness of its mother's bosom. Very soon, I suspect.

Back to the ride:

*Ahem*
The Hills.
There seemed to be rather a lot of them.
In fact, did we have all of them, by any chance?
At times it certainly felt that way.

I am astonished at my rolling average showing 15.1 mph - given the amount of hillage involved - I was expecting it to show much less.

Does anyone have the stats for how much climbing we did today? Please.

I'm also showing 119.16 miles on today's trip meter (I've rounded it off to 120+ by taking the other bike for a ride to the supermarket)
That's 119 miles of cycling in very fine company, for which I'll thank you all, and Dellzeqq in particular for the plotting and doing the Le Patron bit.

Have I mentioned the hills on today's ride?

The South Downs are, IMHO, somewhat misnamed. It's not the downs that cause the problems!!
Another cracking day, well worth the early start. I peeled off at Billingshurst, having decided that it made more sense to complete the century by riding home from somewhere far enough away (Petworth wasn't) than by riding back to Victoria, and then spending two hours on a train for the second time today. Went down the A29 (the lower half of Stane Street) where I found Bury Hill's nastier (at least in mid-afternoon heat) on that road. Got to that roundabout at the top and I twigged it was the same little lump...Then by an improvised, but pretty direct, route into Chichester- avoiding the A27 apart from a brief stretch (!)-, from where I had absolutely no idea how to get back to Pompey (lol). Back at about 5.45. 105.3 miles from HPC, 14.2 mph rolling average, max 37.5, total climbing 3,688 ft.
Excellent company as always, good lunch stop (despite hiccups in service), and a suitably (ahem) 'challenging' route.
Thanks one and all.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I was really looking forward to this ride and what a cracker it was. Some great climbs and I think I even managed to improve my descending a little a bit too, less braking than I usually do anyway.

129. something or other, I'll call it 130 miles and home.:tongue:

Thanks to Simon and Ian for the organisation. Hope to see everyone next month!

Origamist

Legendary Member
Many thanks to Simon and Ian for organising such a smooth ride and to the weather gods for near perfect conditions.

I really enjoyed the route - bumpy, but nothing too steep.

Good to catch up with the usual usual suspects and I liked the camp site at Newdigate: ducks, cake and a bar...

The new (old) bike coped admirably - with the exception of front wheel which is slighly out of true and the ITM Moray (eel) stem which will be consigned to spares bin when I get round to ordering a high polish new Nitto or Velo Orange stem.

About 95 miles for me, but I can't be bothered to cycle round the block to get it up to the century mark, so have cracked open a La chouffe instead...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Many thanks to Simon and Ian for organising such a smooth ride and to the weather gods for near perfect conditions.

I really enjoyed the route - bumpy, but nothing too steep.

Good to catch up with the usual usual suspects and I liked the camp site at Newdigate: ducks, cake and a bar...

The new (old) bike coped admirably - with the exception of front wheel which is slighly out of true and the ITM Moray (eel) stem which will be consigned to spares bin when I get round to ordering a high polish new Nitto or Velo Orange stem.

About 95 miles for me, but I can't be bothered to cycle round the block to get it up to the century mark, so have cracked open a La chouffe instead...

Wouldn't that be 'ooh Ducky'? :smile:

U

User10571

1494991 said:
That was great, although I am a bit weary now.

I'm not surprised you're weary given the 'throwing caution to the wind' pace you appeared to adopt once we'd crested the Zig Zag road and were faced with miles of little other than descent.

U

User10571

1494998 said:
I was running on empty, so I naturally wanted to get home as quickly as possible.

I had already made that assumption :tongue:.

Top Bottom