Speedy Ride for food : Surrey/Sussex and back : Sat 20th August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
Thanks for the company today everyone.

Lumpier than I expected, but fun nontheless. I look on it as preparation for my trip to the West Country this week, although I have some fettling to do on the bike before I go as I rode with a very annoying squeek for several hours this afternoon. A couple of dry chain links is User10571's suggestions and that's where I'll start.

Big thanks to Simon for leading us and for introducing me to Weare Street. I shall return there sometime.

After I peeled off at Newdigate I headed south of Reigate to Redhill and then had the 'pleasure' that is the A25 all the way back into Kent.

Mr Garmin reports 119 miles for the day and almost 6,500' climbing. Got to be satisfied with that!

And, Matt, that Peugeot looks brilliant......

See you on the next one.

Cheers

Ross

U

User10571

1495001 said:
Indeed it does. Original paintwork often doesn't look that good out of the factory.

One of the most elegant bikes I've seen for quite a while.

Another attractive steed on today's ride was Lilolee's Alan - (an early one, at a guess?)

Wow! That was a ride indeed! What a fabulous route - some of those roads were absolutely stunning - especially the one that went on and on, a lane not a road, with leafy roof coverings. Just beautiful.

Indeed there were hills - aka the Downs. The reward for the climbing was vista's across the whole of the county.

Road surfaces ranged from being as smooth as glass - giving me the opportunity to hit my highest speed of 37.2 mph to absolute rough and tumbles with every variation of pot hole, pit hole and in some cases crevasse.

There were a couple of learning curves - the first being that tyres deflated (on purpose to allow for splinter-hunting) do actually need to be reflated again!!! I woke up, headed out the door and couldn't understand why I had a p*£"$£{:content:}quot;re! Luckily for me, it turned out I didnt..!!

We also learned that the afternoon tea in Capel only operates on a Sunday. A few miles up the road we found a fabulous camping/fishing spot which had an excellent cafe. Coffee and Walnut Cake or Carrot Cake - decision, decisiony

Brilliant company, weather, ride and indeed day. 105 miles - my first British century. The French one last month seems like moons ago!

Thank you Dellzeqq, Ian and User10571. It was a joy. I am indebted to you for your encouragement to do these rides, along with the practise and bike maintenance knowledge and assistance (Hmmm excludes TimH on this occasion as he took great delight in telling me that tyres run better on new air!!!)

I took a couple of pics somewhere around here!

Thank you all for a great day.

M :bicycle:

Edited to fix pics link!

Attachments

• A stop on the Kings Road.jpg
    A stop on the Kings Road.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Representing Sunny Ice Cream or was it Madeira Cake.jpg
    Representing Sunny Ice Cream or was it Madeira Cake.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 47
  • Tea thataway.jpg
    Tea thataway.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Tea n Cake.jpg
    Tea n Cake.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Tea n Cake.jpg
    Tea n Cake.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Chapeu to you and your maiden British 100 miler Miranda. It was a tough route and you did brilliantly. You'ver certainly nailed this cycling lark.

You pic link isn't working.

Well done Miranda!

+1! sounds epic! Meanwhile I was attempting to surf, managing to get sunburnt and attempting to outrun the incoming tide by climbing over a bunch of rocks and cutting myself on a barnacle in the process!

Bloody well done Miranda!

Hardest 26 miles I've ever done by far, almost all up hill (I missed the main down hill bit by getting in my mate's car because we were late for dinner)! Good fun though, lots of nice pics. Off for a 12 mile hike over the moor tomorrow then sadly back to London :-(

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Thank y'all for the company on a fine day out. My first attempt at over 100m finished at 118 by the time I got home.
Lordy lordy, were there some hills or what? Mind you, the descents more than made up for the climbs. A bizarre experience coming back into S London this evening after the sublime lanes and roads of today, when suddenly you're forced abruptly into Mon-Fri Commute Mode again, as the FNRttC route to Brighton/Felpham is negotiated in reverse and in broad daylight, ably navigated for us by Thom.
Well done M on that century! - was the Bakewell Tart up to scratch?
Thank you S & I for usual impeccable organisation.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nice one Charlie. Really glad you enjoyed and Chapeu to your 100.

Now sign up for next months ride... it's much easier..
thumbsup.png

Thank y'all for the company on a fine day out. My first attempt at over 100m finished at 118 by the time I got home.
Lordy lordy, were there some hills or what? Mind you, the descents more than made up for the climbs. A bizarre experience coming back into S London this evening after the sublime lanes and roads of today, when suddenly you're forced abruptly into Mon-Fri Commute Mode again, as the FNRttC route to Brighton/Felpham is negotiated in reverse and in broad daylight, ably navigated for us by Thom.
Well done M on that century! - was the Bakewell Tart up to scratch?
Thank you S & I for usual impeccable organisation.

It was delicious thank you CharlieB! It was becoming so addictive that in order to try and put myself off it by seeing what really went into it and therefore how fattening it is I made my own last week (with the help of Prue Leiths recipe) including the pastry. It was a shock to see how much butter and sugar there was so that has steered me away from it. :cry:

I do love it though so I will only buy a slice as a treat providing I have ridden at least 100 miles in one day!!

M :bicycle:

Attachments

• Daylesfords Bakewell Tart.jpg
    Daylesfords Bakewell Tart.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Mices Bakewell Tart Uncut.jpg
    Mices Bakewell Tart Uncut.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 35
  • A Slice of Mice s Bakewell Tart.jpg
    A Slice of Mice s Bakewell Tart.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 39
Top Bottom