Spelling mnemonics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My general rule if that if the information is utterly useless then I will rembember it forever but if it is of some use, it just drops out of my head.

Things cannot stick very well on their own in my head. If I just read something it is not visual enough to stick so I do not read much. But I lap up factual TV programmes and remember every detail and fact.

Same with learning French, I link in almost every word,
Vent comes through a Vent
je m'appelle is a picture of a name badge on a lapel

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I made up my own when I was doing my A-Levels, Kellogs Packeted Cornflakes Often Fill Goats Stomachs, K P C O F G S

Ah, you have a biology A level, then? Bet you can't remember the Krebs cycle!

Necessary is easy if you learned latin. The latin word has a hard C - "nekessy". Once you know that, remembering the double S is easy. Necesse est mihi discere...

The I before E rhyme is useless to me, because you can make it rhyme with almost any letters in it.

T before V except between E...
N after C except before T...

For that one, I need a mnemonic to help me remember the mnemonic. Unless anyone has a better one - I could use it.

Oh yes, and Mother Very Thoughtfully Made a Jam Sandwich Under No Protest for the planets. (It's even got the asteroids in there).

Guitar strings: Eagles And Doves Groan Before Eating.

Stephenite

Membå
Wine before beer, feel queer.

Beer before wine, feel fine.

Wine before beer before wine, feel fine.

Or
WBQ, BWF, WBWF. :smile:

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I used to be nerdly great at spelling, before the advent of the computer.

I learnt spelling with ITA which was an experimental way of teaching primarly kids in the mid-'70s. Everything was spelt exactly how you pronounce it, ie wun, too, three, for etc. Just how a lot of people spell on web forums nowadays, in fact!

I think it must have been a failure, but it worked for me at the time...

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Music notes can be remembered by Every Good Boy Deserves Fruit for the notes on the lines and FACE for the notes in between. That's about as far as I got in my recorder class.

And when the bass clef is in force:

Good Boys Deserve Favours Always for the lines and All Cows Eat Grass for the spaces

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I was near dyslexic as a child so had to remember certain words in strange ways.

Friend - Five roaming Indians entered Nans Dooor
Beautiful - Box are are useful to if you like

are the two the spring to mind.

I also remember grammatical constructs such as There is no Sin in Sir.

I was near dyslexic as a child so had to remember certain words in strange ways.

Friend - Five roaming Indians entered Nans Dooor
Beautiful - Box are are useful to if you like

are the two the spring to mind.

I also remember grammatical constructs such as There is no Sin in Sir.

we had friends will be friends till the end of your life

also the school principal could be your pal where a principle couldn't

Top Bottom