Spelling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
There are occasionally some posts on here that include some dreadful spelling. Is this because of laziness, or is it because people just cannot spell anymore ? I am not pointing an accusing finger at anyone, rather just wondering if the idea of "text speak" has really become "computer speak" and is creating a realm where bad spelling and appalling punctuation are the norm ?

Just pondering really

Andrew

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
dont no…

It's pretty bad in places. The gardening forum I visit occasionally is even worse. I have to admit that I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to the way that people write and if someone asks for technical advice on their breaks or peddles then I'm usually too busy wincing to reply...:sad:

bonj2

It's often because people think it's 'cool' to look thick. They know how to spell something really, but they think that if they spell it wrong people will have sympathy with them and that they'll look all 'twee' and homely.
Of course, there's a lot of people who actually ARE thick.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I work as a proof-reader/copy editor/designer and one part of my job is proofing every important email and document one of my colleagues writes. He has a marketing degree but his grasp of written English is so appalling that he can't be allowed to send anything important out without it being checked. I will probably make 2-3 changes per sentence as his written English is so bad.

He's good at his job (apart from this) but I am a bit amazed he managed to get a degree with such a poor command of the written language. But some of his Uni friends at the time, who write articles that I then edit, can write very well; I suppose it's like everything, certain people have certain skills and not others.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I sometimes wonder if we should regard bad spelling in written communication as we would regard uncouthness in conversation: it is a discourtesy to one's correspondent/interlocuter unless they's on da same ded fik level as you innit?

Andy in Sig said:
I sometimes wonder if we should regard bad spelling in written communication as we would regard uncouthness in conversation: it is a discourtesy to one's correspondent/interlocuter unless they's on da same ded fik level as you innit?

That's how I see it. "I can't be bothered to spell or punctuate this properly ... you do all the work in deciphering it".
It's the people who don't care and think it doesn't matter that annoy me. "I'm posting on the internet, not writing an English essay". Yes, obviously good written English is reserved entirely for occasions when you're to be given a mark for it.:biggrin:

It seems that quantity not quality is the order of the day in schools these days. Spelling and grammer take second place to the amount of writing produced. I expect now I will have all the youngters and teachers of this parish telling me that at 49 I am out of touch with modern schooling.

thomas

the tank engine
I'm hardly perfect and can get confused with the spelling of some words that have similar spellings. They did think I was dyslexic for a while, but apparently it was some other learning difficulty that I should be over now.

Even still my spelling is bad so I have a spell checker for my browser, so little red lines pop up under most words in my posts :biggrin:

Rhythm Thief said:
That's how I see it. "I can't be bothered to spell or punctuate this properly ... you do all the work in deciphering it".
It's the people who don't care and think it doesn't matter that annoy me. "I'm posting on the internet, not writing an English essay". Yes, obviously good written English is reserved entirely for occasions when you're to be given a mark for it.:biggrin:
Yup. I know that there will always be people who have different levels of ability with written language. I don't mind that so much, it's not as if I'm going through posts with a red pen. What I really hate is the breathless rush with no punctuation, bad spelling and no capitals. That really hacks me off and guarantees no response from this grumpy old git.

"hi im new so be kind ive got a bike but the breaks arent working lol i dont no how to fix them plese help lol thnx." etc...:wacko:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Alan H said:
Interlocutor
Grammar

:biggrin:

Yep, guilty as charged of the first one. My only excuse is that I don't make the same mistakes when hand writing. Other ones that I only do on the internet are "their" when I mean "there" and "to" instead of "too".

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Chuffy said:
Yup. I know that there will always be people who have different levels of ability with written language. I don't mind that so much, it's not as if I'm going through posts with a red pen. What I really hate is the breathless rush with no punctuation, bad spelling and no capitals. That really hacks me off and guarantees no response from this grumpy old git.

"hi im new so be kind ive got a bike but the breaks arent working lol i dont no how to fix them plese help lol thnx." etc...:biggrin:

Maybe Shaun could put in a little electricity icon on the screen and if you press it a hundredth of a volt gets stored up and when the hundredth person has pressed the icon the good news gets zapped down the line into the typing keys of the transgressor.:wacko:

Top Bottom