Spelling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Hey Andy, is bad spelling a problem in Germany as well? I know they occasionally add Grocers' Apostrophies to look cool but overall is the spelling of the yoof better? I do occasionally see typos on menus in Germany but perhaps fewer than I would find on a UK menu.

Andy in Sig said:
You're not suggesting that "typing to quick(ly)" or "not paying attention" are somehow excuses, are you? They actually are indictments if you are aware of them and are too idle to do anything about the results. I guess the grocer's apostrophe is just down to lack of knowledge of grammar, which is an excuse as you either know something or you don't.

for someone who's been told by most educational psychologists that he shouldn't be able to touch type at all to the extent of being given speech to text software etc my typing isn't that bad, i have to correct most of it as I go however.

the grocer's apostrophe is due to an over eager little finger :sad:

i do read through each post, but occasionally miss things.

my spell checker is part of my browser, but its american :smile:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
If there are educational grounds why you have typing difficulties then that does add up to an excuse and a good one at that. But that's a bit different than what you typed before which is why I questioned it.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Auntie Helen said:
Hey Andy, is bad spelling a problem in Germany as well? I know they occasionally add Grocers' Apostrophies to look cool but overall is the spelling of the yoof better? I do occasionally see typos on menus in Germany but perhaps fewer than I would find on a UK menu.

You hear people very occasionally moaning about it but I must say that I never come across it all over the place like I do on this forum. This is perhaps because German is a much more phonetically spelt language than English and the fact that they still seem to be formally taught the grammar of their language which seems not to be be the case in the UK.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Although my German teachers at Uni both say they really struggle with the Rechtschreibung reforms as they learned to write properly before that! I must admit I'd find that a real problem here if the English could ever sort out a spelling reform (no hope of that, phew!)

Andy in Sig said:
This is perhaps because German is a much more phonetically spelt language than English and the fact that they still seem to be formally taught the grammar of their language which seems not to be be the case in the UK.
That's one of my bugbears. My written English is pretty good, but my grasp of grammar is very shaky. I know how to drive, but I don't know how the engine works, if you know what I mean.

I've always thought that the main reason why we are so bad at foreign languages is that they tend to be taught grammar first and as we don't learn our own grammar to any great depth, it makes it twice as hard to learn forrin. Well, that's my excuse for getting a CSE Grade 3 in German...:smile:

Andy in Sig said:
If there are educational grounds why you have typing difficulties then that does add up to an excuse and a good one at that. But that's a bit different than what you typed before which is why I questioned it.

yeh, i'm not the best at the putting the words together thing, my brain runs twice as fast as my fingers and four times as fast as my hand when writing.

Arch

Married to Night Train
You know what I hate? The way some people (I know who I mean) type 'alot' for 'a lot', and 'along' for 'a long' (as in along time).

GRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:sad:

montage

God Almighty
Arch said:
You know what I hate? The way some people (I know who I mean) type 'alot' for 'a lot', and 'along' for 'a long' (as in along time).

GRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:sad:

I believe I am guilty of this :wacko:
Every single time I type and essay I see countless squiggly red lines under "alot" and "along" yet I allways repeat the mistake.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I can't say I think this forum is particularly bad for spelling. It is not something I worry about especially. My spelling is not perfect but I suspect there are more annoying things out there such as bad manners and waffling on :sad:. On the other hand I could have written a similar thread in relation to the Cricket thread and more the sort of things I do worry about.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Actually I believe no-one should generally be hyphenated (although it is permissible without). I just did a mammoth proofing job of a new translation of the New Testament and stuck hyphens in every no-one I came across. There were a lot.

Auntie Helen said:
Actually I believe no-one should generally be hyphenated (although it is permissible without). I just did a mammoth proofing job of a new translation of the New Testament and stuck hyphens in every no-one I came across. There were a lot.

do they have hyphens in greek? :sad:

Top Bottom