Spelling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
What really hacks me off are posts that contain some sort of disclaimer like "sorry about the spelling". The culprits clearly acknowledge that their spelling isn't up to snuff, but they make no effort to remedy it. Two words for you, you miserable wretches:
1) Online
2) Dictionary
:biggrin::angry::wacko:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Landslide said:
What really hacks me off are posts that contain some sort of disclaimer like "sorry about the spelling". The culprits clearly acknowledge that their spelling isn't up to snuff, but they make no effort to remedy it. Two words for you, you miserable wretches:
1) Online
2) Dictionary
:biggrin::angry::wacko:
Hang on, though; if you're genuinely bad at spelling I don't think you should have to refer to a dictionary for every post you make on a cycling forum. If it's just laziness and you can spell but decide not to (Joe24?) then I think that's annoying, but some people just aren't good at spelling and I don't think they should have to spend ten times as long preparing a post because of that. We should cut 'em some slack!

My husband can spell reasonably well but he occasionally checks with me (not a dictionary) when he's doing important stuff (he's a video editor and has to do captions from time to time) because quite often the information he's sent to use for the captions is wrong. I wonder who'd get the blame if any of the incorrect spellings got through...

Globalti

Legendary Member
...or the people who excuse their bad spelling and bad grammar by dropping LOL into the post at every opportunity. So bad spelling doesn't matter because it's kewl?

My pet grouse is the people who write "as" instead of "has" and "to" instead of "too" - this tells me that they were never taught even basic English properly.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Rigid Raider said:
...or the people who excuse their bad spelling and bad grammar by dropping LOL into the post at every opportunity. So bad spelling doesn't matter because it's kewl?

That is really annoying. I so hate it when people go like "lol" all the time

My pet grouse is the people who write ....

..."of" instead of "have": "I'd of written better but then I'd of to of thought about it, lol".

Night Train

Maker of Things
Sh4rkyBloke said:
its da kids innit. They no nuffink about spellz nowdays. Not dun in skool no more.

CU L8r.

k thx.
That's is the level of written English I have come across teaching Year 10/11 kids, except you have too much punctuation there.
its da kids innit tey no nuffink abt spellz nowdays nt dun in skool no mre
That's more like it!

It isn't quantity over quality either as they tend to get really upset when I request '50 words minimum' for an answer.
The type of question could be: 'Describe the possible risks to operatives if correct PPE is not used when working with concrete and other cement based building products.'.

It is amusing watching them demonstrating appaling maths ability as they type a word, recheck their word count, type another word, recheck their word count, etc. until it hits 50 words exactly.

I think text speak should only be used in texts and only to keep a text within one page to save money. Otherwise it should be written in full. There is no excuse in emails or forum posts.

My spelling isn't wonderful and I do check if I am certain I don't know how to spell something but I also make a lot of typos as my fingers and my brain work out of sync sometimes.

montage

God Almighty
I am bad at spelling but don't text speak! innit LOL

snorri said:
I envy people who had enthusiastic teachers of English language.:biggrin:

i envy people who had english teachers when doing their GCSE's mine was a media studies teacher covering for someone who'd pretty much left due to ill health.

I know i occasionally get things wrong, its partly due to typing too quick or partly due to not paying attention / clicking the wrong option on the spell checker :smile:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
You're not suggesting that "typing to quick(ly)" or "not paying attention" are somehow excuses, are you? They actually are indictments if you are aware of them and are too idle to do anything about the results. I guess the grocer's apostrophe is just down to lack of knowledge of grammar, which is an excuse as you either know something or you don't.

Top Bottom