Spesh Secteur Shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rsvdaz

I have an 2010 secteur triple..las time I was out on it I was having trouble shifting up on the front chain rings...it got to a stage that the shifter itself was getting very stiff to move..I was knackered after the ride so it went straight into my garage..having read up here on what it could be..it sounds like the cable needs more tension..i'm out on a ride tonite..so need to get home and do this...the bike spec sheet says I have Shimano STI 2300 shifters..but the video tuturials with these one look different than what I have got....mine have the little levers on the inside of the horns which do opposite what the brake levers..the videos show another lever behind the brake lever...what I want to know is where do i adjust the cable tension?

redjedi

Über Member
You're levers sound similar to the Shimano Sora levers, so try searching for that instead.

You should have tensioners on the down tube, where the cable housing stops.

gf_cronus_barrel_adjusters_600.jpg

Try there. If not you'll have to disconnect the cable from the derailleur and do it by hand.

Try one of these videos

It doesn't matter what levers you have, it's the derailleur that needs adjusting.

OP
OP
rsvdaz

rsvdaz

ive adjusted it via the cable adjusters on the downtube..it does go up the rings...just about.....small to middle is worse....its giving it a really good thinking before it decides to finally move up the ring..middle to large is ok.....but.....it now wont go down from large to middle..when i eventually get it down..its straight into the small ring

Sounds to me like a new cable required, its probably frayed inside the outer and jamming up. disconnect from front mech and try shifting while you hold the end to give a little tension . If its stiff there's your trouble, if not on to stage two.....

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
If the shifting is stiff then it doesn’t sound like an adjustment, click into smallest ring, disconnect the cable from the mech, then you can then feel if the inner cable is running smoothly through the outer casing. If it is then pull the mech with your fingers to see if it’s free, the pivots can get quite stiff especially after the harsh winter on treated roads. If the mech’ is stiff lube pivot points and keep pulling mech’ across by hand and letting the tension pull it back again; keep doing this and and often it free it up again; same applies to the rear.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

OP
OP
rsvdaz

rsvdaz

ive only had the bike for six weeks...i took it back once cos the gear set up wasnt right..its due its six week service so will leave it to them to sort it again....i wonder if its me not shifting right??

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
rsvdaz said:
ive only had the bike for six weeks...i took it back once cos the gear set up wasnt right..its due its six week service so will leave it to them to sort it again....i wonder if its me not shifting right??
If only six weeks old take it back, the dealer should correct it.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Top Bottom