Spinning rear hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Black knight

Hi,

Bit of advice for a newbie please.

Using an old Raleigh bike for work, on the way in this evening I noticed after any freewheeling, I would not get immiediate drive to the rear. I have to peadal maybe half a turn before I get drive. The and rear sprockets move but that doesn't pass to the wheel.

Under load the bike seems fine.

Had the hub had it or is it just something that needs tightening up?

Many thanks

Rick.

delstron

Hi,

Bit of advice for a newbie please.

Using an old Raleigh bike for work, on the way in this evening I noticed after any freewheeling, I would not get immiediate drive to the rear. I have to peadal maybe half a turn before I get drive. The and rear sprockets move but that doesn't pass to the wheel.

Under load the bike seems fine.

Had the hub had it or is it just something that needs tightening up?

Many thanks

Rick.

Sounds like the pawls inside the freehub are sticky with old grease or crud, needs cleaning out and fresh grease.

OP
OP
B

Black knight

Not familiar with the terminology but I think I understand. guessing it's still safe to ride then....just inefficient.

Wheels are quick release but tools are minimal, can it be done with a screwdriver and some ptfe spray?

I guess you need to remove the hub from the wheel somehow?

Thanks.

Sometimes a quick fix is the flood the hub with wd40 and flush out any old grease. I kept an old hub running for about a year by frequently flushing with wd40 and then running some 3-in-1 through the hub.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There's a hard way and a simple way to do everything.... now listen...

I'm guessing it's an old screw-on Freewheel, Lay the bike on it's side at a slight angle (as it naturally resides), sprocket side up and spin the wheel. Near the centre of the freewheel youl see the gap between the rotating bit and the non-moving bit. Squirt a load of WD40 or similar in there and keep spinning the wheel. It should get quite noisy! Keep going (squirt a bit more) untill it sounds quite clean and free and the pawls immediately engage.
Leave overnight for the WD40 to evaporate.
Next morning do the same but with a bit of oil, thicker the better. adda few mls untill you hear the change of sound in the pawls that they've picked-up some oil. Wipe off excess and go ride.
It'll last for Donkeys like that.

Simples.

Top Bottom