Spinning ... what??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
Yaay:smile::tongue:, Got offered an old exercise bike free from a local gym, it just arrived and turns out to be a magnificent Schwinn Spinner!!! I'd be grateful for any info on how best to use it properly? I've checked at all the local classes in the hope of doing a couple of proper sessions at a club but they're all fully booked. One of the instructors gave me the the impression that there's a lot more to it than just throwing a leg over it, sticking on a bit of resistance and pedalling for 1/2 hour. Just for the sake of clarity lets say I want to use it to improve 10k times. Thanks ( inspired by the weekends viewing!!!;) )

From the classes I went to, they seem to get you well and truely knackered then crank it up a bit.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
I can handler that.... had 45 mins on it could barely walk.... wearing a non absorbent top was a mistake too... surely that wasn't all my sweat!!!!

Actually the classes seemed to adopt a pyramid approach.

Easish for a while, then slack off
Moderate for a while, slack off
Hard, slack off
Very Hard, slack off
IMPOSSIBLE. Die.

Then a bit of sprinting in and out of saddle etc. I find the lessons better than doing it solo as they push you further and harder you would ever do on your own - plus you might get a nice female instructor to ogle at.

Cool avatar btw. I LOVED Marine Boy as a kid.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Thanks DG, I'll work something out along those lines with some suitable music ... Need to do some research about cadence too. Its only since joining this site that I realised there was more to riding than just turning the pedals and looking at the scenery. :smile: Cant do much about the ogling though except maybe leave the garage doors open and hope for the best... Interestingly I jumped on the bike after the spinning session to cool down and automatically went back to the fast cadence I'd been using on the Schwinn - I was flying - most satisfying:thumbsup:

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
mr Mag00 said:
more info required on how u got a free equipment

Not telling!..... You'r not the old bill are you??

;):biggrin:

A friend of a friend ran a gym that was having a major refit and they had a number of these for £25 each!!! A friend of mine bought the last one but his girlfriend wasnt keen on it in her bedroom.... I didn't have room (then) so it went to another friend. He died recently and his wife was going to chuck it in the skip:ohmy: so it finally ended up where it always belonged ... with me!
And it's excellent albeit a bit noisy for the first few minutes. Plus I keep forgetting it's like a fixie cos of the bloody great flywheel ... nearly split myself asunder on my first go.

Top Bottom