Spinning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hutch118

I see on other threads that some folk are 60-70 and some up at 100. I'm definitely in the lower part of this.

Is there a spin rate to try to maintain and gear to aim for? Is it a case of aiming to spin at whatever gear your in and maintaining an optimal spin rate on whatever sort of road condition. I suppose it may even depend on fitness level of the actual cyclist.

I'm not too worried on this sort of thing, just interested if someone can explain in better detail the aim of a steady spin rate against grinding along.

Thanks. Hutch...

MikeW-71

Veteran
It's very much self-selected. Typically between 80-100 rpm is recommended, whatever is comfortable for you on the flat. Select a gear that allows you to stay at about that cadence as much as you can. Spinning faster reduces stress on the legs and knees and can keep you a bit fresher on longer rides.

When climbing, you will tend to pedal slower.

I'll usually be between 95-100 ticking along on the flat, dropping to 80-90 as climbs get steeper. I have been down as low as 50 when the going gets really tough!

albion

Guru
Whilst I would agree that many people traditionally pedal too slowly, what is obvious is that if you plod along slowly, doing 90 + is complete madness.
But if racing and pulling 200+ watts the right cadence is vital.

So I would ignore much of it. I plod.

Now 'Cadence per watt' might well be actually useful

Colnago Master

I only really "bear in mind" advice on cycling. I will always do what I enjoy. I like to ride a bigger gear than normal and work at keeping it going. The result over time is that I've got a lot stronger and faster. I like riding bigger gears up hills and getting out of the saddle when everyone else is seated. The result there is I've got a lot quicker up hills and look forward to testing myself on them. But that's just me. If what you enjoy is spinning more then that is what you should do. The only important thing is to get out and enjoy it, whatever your goal.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I have no idea about my cadence. I just pedal as fast as I can in the gear which offers what feels like the correct amount of pressure on my thighs and knees at the time, without me feeling completely chuffed out. There's a happy medium somewhere for everyone...not Russell Grant though...he's just faking it.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Oh, I don't aim for 90-100 as an average, I have just learned what seems to work best in particular situations. I ignore the average figure.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It's not easy to get your cadence over 70rpm as an average. I have to train at 70-80 and I've only managed it on one ride!
Really? After a year of no cadence, so far this year I've yet to average much less than 90 on any ride. And I'm not looking at or concentrating on it, in fact cadence isn't even on my main garmin screen :ohmy:

Last edited:

ayceejay

Guru
I don't think pedaling at a high (over 70) cadence comes naturally regardless of terrain or gear and requires training and re-calibrating your brain. In other words it is a technique that has to be learned, in my opinion it is worth the effort.

Top Bottom