Split rim this morning...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Hi

On the way to work this a.m. I heard a rhythmic bump-bump-bump from the back wheel, then the wheel started to lock up. I got off and inspected it...the rim had split...gash of about 2-3" long and about 5mm deep at the widest point. Thought I might have a blow-out, so took some air out of the tyre.

I guess over the years, the brake block had worn the metal rim too thin and it gave way under the tyre pressure.

Anyway, what do I need to do now? Is it a complete new wheel I need?

Kind regards

Maz

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Either a new wheel, or a rebuild using your existing hub (and possibly spokes). The best option depends on the quality of your current hub/how much you want to spend etc.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Yeh, just like in that picture.

How much does a new wheel cost?
How much for a re-build?

The bike is a Spesh Sirrus (with Alex rims?)

Landslide

Rare Migrant
AFAIK, Alex rims tend not to be freely available as after-market parts, so if going for a re-build, you'll probably be looking at new rim+spokes. With wheel-building costs, it may be cheaper to buy a new wheel.

Shimano? How many gears at the back? Summat like this might do you, and is a good starting point budget-wise. M:Parts build quality is good, and as they're part of Madison, your LBS may well be able to get hold of them.
Want to spend a bit more and get summat fancier? As I'm sure you're aware, you are only limited by your overdraft!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'd get some nice new wheels made up, it'll make a big difference to your bike.

At least you know you got as much wear out of that rim as you could've done..

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i replaced my alex rimmed wheelset for vuelta zerolite for not a lot. they seem to be more expensive in this link though, and make sure you get inner tubes with long valves if you use a track pump.

peanut

Max don't use Wiggle unless you want to pay more than you need to . Suggest you look at Ribble and Chain reaction .
There were some very cheap wheelsets on ebay a while back for £45.00 front and rear. I think they may have been Alex rims and they were probably Dave Hindes wheels.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Cheers for the info. I think I'll ring up the LBS's first and see what prices they have.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Seems fair enough. I have alex rims, was thinking of getting a new wheel recently for a similar price. Depends what the wheel is and how much you want to spend. People have already pointed out the mavic wheels, for my bike I thought it was insane putting such a high value part on my slower bike.

Top Bottom