Split rim this morning...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
You could do worse. Depends if you want to take the opportunity to upgrade. Lighter tyres/rims are on of the best upgrades you can make.
Whilst marinyork has a point in that it's not particularly cost-effective to sling loads of money at a relatively cheap bike, it's not like the Sirrus has a bad frame or owt, and whilst a £1000 pair of wheels might be overkill, a slightly better wheelset e.g. Open Pros on 105 hubs or similar would be an excellent investment.

02GF74

Über Member
a new rim, devent mavic, will be around £ 20 min.

On my commuyter, mountian bike that sees its fair share of mud in winter so rims will wear, I have replaced the rims.

tape new rim to old one and move the spokes over one by one, then some treuing up and job done.

I am able to do this since I get the same mavic rims so avoid issues of different spoke length.

done this at least twice on each wheel using same spokes and nipples and whilst the wheels and as perfect as they could be if built by a prefeshnel, I've had no probkems with them what so ever.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Maz said:
Non-branded rim, Shimano hub.

Again depends on what type shimano hub. I recent purchased from my LBS a handbuilt front 105 hub with a mavic cpx 22 rim for £ 45.00 whilst he also had a tiagra with the same rim for £ 42.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Again depends on what type shimano hub. I recent purchased from my LBS a handbuilt front 105 hub with a mavic cpx 22 rim for £ 45.00 whilst he also had a tiagra with the same rim for £ 42.
ok cheers, i dunno what type of shimano hub it was. i didn't ask him the serial no. or owt. i Wunt know a good shimano hub from a bad un if it hit me in the eye, tbh.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Shimano range, in order of quality/price point (low to high):
No name > 2200 > Sora > Tiagra > 105 > Ultegra > Ultegra SL > Dura Ace
Personally, I reckon that the law of diminishing returns kicks in above the 105 level.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Landslide said:
Shimano range, in order of quality/price point (low to high):
No name > 2200 > Sora > Tiagra > 105 > Ultegra > Ultegra SL > Dura Ace
Personally, I reckon that the law of diminishing returns kicks in above the 105 level.
Cheers again.
Another LBS said £70 for an R500 wheel. Does that mean owt to you? Good spec? Is it a fair price?

I'm clueless.

peanut

Maz said:
Cheers again.
Another LBS said £70 for an R500 wheel. Does that mean owt to you? Good spec? Is it a fair price?

I'm clueless.

no the R500 is not a good wheel as far as I have read. They have special spokes that snap as soon as you put the wheel on the ground. Difficult to obtain spare spokes too. There are countless reviews of these wheels around the web saying they are not suited to heavier riders and are a nightmare to stay true.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
R500 wheels are Tiagra level. There're some user reviews here.

Personally, at this price point (and at most others up to ~£400!) I'd go for standard wheels with 32 or 36 spokes, rather than any of the "factory built" options that have less interchangability when it comes to spares (spokes, rims etc.). How much do you fancy spending?

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Landslide said:
How much do you fancy spending?
£75 tops. I can't justify more than that.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Landslide said:
Summat like this might do you, and is a good starting point budget-wise. M:Parts build quality is good, and as they're part of Madison, your LBS may well be able to get hold of them.

I'd investigate this route. If you're chummy with your LBS you should be able to get hold of one within budget.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:

Bargains^ :sad:

Top Bottom