[SPOILER] Milan - San Remo. La classica di Primavera. 17th March - Spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Turned into a pretty damn fine race in the end despite everything. Shame Stannard didn't get it, but nice to see that Sagan isn't going to just win everything he wants (much as I like him).
+1

Great by Stannard and nice to see someone who wasn't Sagan win in a sprint.

Cav stuck with the peloton by himself for almost the entire second half of the race, and it was only 14 seconds down in the end. Great to see him sticking it out.

oldroadman

Veteran
Ian Stannard, what can you say, one of the animators of the race. Without the efforts from Chavanel and him, it looked as if the chading group could get back, instead of the little split that got Spartacus, Ciolek and Sagan there. Shame about the weather and disruption though, despite being a very long day it's a nice race ro ride, the last hour or so can hurt a bit!
Excellent ride by Cav, there at the peloton sprint for 9th, in days of old he may simply have not bothered if a win was not available, and he got over the tre capi, Cipressa, and Poggio very well.

I'm also quite surprised that Nibali didn't win...

Managed to avoid the results until I found time to watch the recorded race before starting my night shift, quite entertaining all in all, never guessed the winner either. Surprised that Boonen bailed out and moaned at the organizers, bit soft for a Belgian. Chapeau to all the finishers on a tough day.

zizou

Veteran
The last 20k or so was great. As was the war of attrition prior to that, although it wouldnt have been much fun to ride in it...actually pretty similar conditions to i was riding in today only i didnt have a team car giving me dry jackets and gloves when required :biggrin:

redcard

Veteran
That's the closest I can find to anyone calling the winner. Ciolek and MTN-Qhubeka, not one I saw predicted anywhere. Where there odds for him?

You give me way too much credit!

I just don't like Sagan. Think he's the only rider I actively dislike.

How close was that finish eh ?
msr finish.jpg

The Couch

Über Member
Surprised that Boonen bailed out and moaned at the organizers, bit soft for a Belgian.

To be honest, I understand his point that he was saying that the organization knew about the Turchino situation before the start. So they either 1. let the riders start and completely finish the stage
2. or they just directly start in whatever-the-place-was-called where they had their second start

He was saying, that there were tons of guys already dropped (he was saying close to 100 guys) already in the "first race" but that the whole peloton was put together again at the re-start so he felt that was very unfair for the guys who had been "racing" in the snowy first part.

Then again, I do agree that Boonen indeed was moaning an awful lot, especially as he is one of the "poster-boys" of cycling (but I guess it's also partly because he just doesn't like those conditions either; not all Belgians enjoy Belgian weather :smile:)

BTW, just the fact that there is actually an answer to the question, "can anybody beat Sagan if there is a select group going to the finish", has blown me away :smile:

Personally, I am a bit disappointed that GIlbert, Roelandts, Pozzato and Degenkolb missed the escape on the Poggio, they all looked fine after the Cipressa.
And on a side-comment, when I saw the weather, I was convinced Voeckler was going to pop up somewhere in the finale (e.g. after the Cipressa) like a jack-in-the-box and try to go for an escape. So when I looked at the full results this morning, I checked if he had abandoned (which would explain his no-show) and I saw he actually did finish and more specifically in the last group. Seems weird to me that he couldn't play a part - at all - in the race (since he can be mostly trusted to have a whack at it) but still wanted to finish.

Top Bottom