[SPOILER] Milan - San Remo. La classica di Primavera. 17th March - Spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buddfox

Veteran
Slightly off topic, but I thought the Eurosport commentary team were really good - it's the first time I've heard them. Magnus Backstedt had the insight of a Kelly (plus some humour), but I could actually understand him, and I didn't miss Dave Harmon repeatedly blowing sunshine up Sean Kelly's behind. More please.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
What was his name? I agree that Magnus is good at giving the riders' perspective.

OP
OP
thom

thom

____
Missed the race live but enjoyed Stannard et al animating the finale on the replays.
Kind of beautiful for Ciolek to pip Sagan and Cancellara for the biggest win of his career.
I liked Cancellara's post race interview - very gracious. Edit - looking at the Sagan thread, perhaps he made another interview too...
Bring on spring please...

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I think the other commentator was Ant McCrossan.

I like Magnus Backstedt but I find his accent really weird. I've probably become too accustomed to Sean Kelly.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think the other commentator was Ant McCrossan.

I like Magnus Backstedt but I find his accent really weird. I've probably become too accustomed to Sean Kelly.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no,
McCrossan is terrible, awful, should be shot, hopeless, useless........

That was a new (to me) bloke called Declan Quigley. He was pretty good.
Eurosport have also used a newish one recently called Robbie Hatch who isn't too bad.

Buddfox

Veteran
No, no, no, no, no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no,no, no, no,
McCrossan is terrible, awful, should be shot, hopeless, useless........

That was a new (to me) bloke called Declan Quigley. He was pretty good.
Eurosport have also used a newish one recently called Robbie Hatch who isn't too bad.

Interesting - despite ostensibly being a motorsport commentator he seemed to know enough to correctly identify riders when the captions were wrong - which is not always a given with cycling commentators. I thought the pairing worked well.

Hont

Guru
Interesting - despite ostensibly being a motorsport commentator he seemed to know enough to correctly identify riders when the captions were wrong - which is not always a given with cycling commentators. I thought the pairing worked well.
Agree. Although I think Quigley probably employed the "trick" of looking at the race number and then the list of riders, because he was happily telling us exactly which rider was in the process of abandoning when Magnus (and anyone else watching the screen) could tell that the rider was just changing a tyre. He then self-critiqued himself for not looking at the screen.

Re. the wrong captions, I'm really not sure how Johan van Summeran could be confused for Ian Stannard. They're not even on the same team FFS. Stannard had even thoughtfully worn a GB helmet, so it didn't matter that he had a rain cape on.

Hont

Guru
enjoyed Stannard et al animating the finale on the replays.
Kind of beautiful for Ciolek to pip Sagan and Cancellara for the biggest win of his career.
+1. From the moment Chavenel and Stannard got away it was compelling racing. They were two of the four heroes for me, alongside Ciolek (obv) and Taylor Phinney for that amazing (where did he come from) bridge to the lead group.

Buddfox

Veteran
Agree. Although I think Quigley probably employed the "trick" of looking at the race number and then the list of riders, because he was happily telling us exactly which rider was in the process of abandoning when Magnus (and anyone else watching the screen) could tell that the rider was just changing a tyre. He then self-critiqued himself for not looking at the screen.

Re. the wrong captions, I'm really not sure how Johan van Summeran could be confused for Ian Stannard. They're not even on the same team FFS. Stannard had even thoughtfully worn a GB helmet, so it didn't matter that he had a rain cape on.

Yes, that was a bit unfortunate, I was watching it thinking 'Looks like a mechanical to me...!'

Buddfox

Veteran
+1. From the moment Chavenel and Stannard got away it was compelling racing. They were two of the four heroes for me, alongside Ciolek (obv) and Taylor Phinney for that amazing (where did he come from) bridge to the lead group.

I absolutely loved the Stannard / Chavanel move. That was some big balls from Stannard considering the company he was keeping - awesome effort.

Top Bottom