Spoiler : Tour of Oman. 11 - 16 Feb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
According to the Cycling Weekly table of greatest British cyclists ever, Cav is above Wiggo, and Robert Millar is still above both of them. Robert Millar... Now, there's a cyclist with a personality! And imagine how much more he could have acheived if he'd had the backing and resources of a Team Sky...

OP
OP
thom

thom

____
Fair point, I should have included the phrase "GC riders" after "Brit." Cav's clearly a hero with a different - and no less worthy - agenda to exploit his brilliant talent.
And to our shame, we should qualify this quickly as within the male peloton because some of the British women are rather good too, Pooley and Armitstead in particular.

Hont

Guru
he`s as british as wiggins
Well in terms of lineage, probably more so, but he didn't grow up in Britain, has never lived here, shows no sign of wanting to, and raced under a Kenyan licence initially. What I'm saying is it's hard to feel patriotic when cheering him on.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Well in terms of lineage, probably more so, but he didn't grow up in Britain, has never lived here, shows no sign of wanting to, and raced under a Kenyan licence initially. What I'm saying is it's hard to feel patriotic when cheering him on.

I'm interested in how British cyclists do, but in terms of cheering people on, I'm more interested in attitude and style.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm with Hont here. I like to support the Brits/English in almost all sports just to give it an extra element of interest and fervour. For all I know, Greipel may be a much nicer bloke than Cav, but it's Cav I want to win the sprint.
I get less pleasure from Kevin Pietersen scoring a century than I do from Alastair Cook say. Nothing in particular against Froome but I see Wiggins as more English/British.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I'm with Hont here. I like to support the Brits/English in almost all sports just to give it an extra element of interest and fervour. For all I know, Greipel may be a much nicer bloke than Cav, but it's Cav I want to win the sprint.

For me it's more the case that Cav is more interesting and unpredictable.

Top Bottom