SPOILER - Tour of Spain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
He did well to finish where he did with his back wheel in such a state!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pic140451649_600.jpg

If you look at Cav's face you can see he was not a happy Hector!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason for Cav "only" coming second this afternoon was a broken spoke.
http://www.cyclingne...ged-with-regret

Sounds like it happened to close to the line, but what's the actuall rules on bike replacement?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
If you read the story, he's all but claiming that Farrar was the one who caused the spoke to break and must have known it... not sure about that, but sprinting that distance with your rims rubbing the break blocks and still coming second (and taking the points jersey) is pretty damn impressive. I have to say I was surprised that Cav lasted the entire Vuelta. Having seen this, I think he can take the Green at the Tour next year. If the World's comes down to a sprint he might be in with a shot too, but I suspect there will be too many attacks from the like of Gilbert.

Regarding the tour green jersey, I think that they need to recalculate how they award points, ie a greater premium for winning. Cav is clearly the best sprinter in the world already. He should have been in green in this year's TDF and I am chuffed to bits he has won it in the vuelta.

Ball

If you read the story, he's all but claiming that Farrar was the one who caused the spoke to break and must have known it... not sure about that, but sprinting that distance with your rims rubbing the break blocks and still coming second (and taking the points jersey) is pretty damn impressive. I have to say I was surprised that Cav lasted the entire Vuelta. Having seen this, I think he can take the Green at the Tour next year. If the World's comes down to a sprint he might be in with a shot too, but I suspect there will be too many attacks from the like of Gilbert.

Can't see him being in with even the remotest of chances to be honest. When have you ever seen him attack or counter-attack. Once the strong men go, without a large team around him to pull them back he's just not going to be able to follow. I don't know the complete lineup, maybe there'll be another team willing to do the donkey work to pull any breaks or attacks back but I just can't see that being the case. Plus I hear it's a bit of an uphill drag of a finish, which Cav is capable of but it isn't ideal. BUT, hopefully he can prove me wrong. Would love to see a Brit in the rainbow jersey. I also hope whoever does win it can give it as fantastic a year as Cadel did this year.

raindog

er.....
I think Evans is in with a shout again this year - that circuit should suit him down to the ground. As for Cav, it depends how the race pans out near the end.

beastie

Guru
Can't see him being in with even the remotest of chances to be honest. When have you ever seen him attack or counter-attack. Once the strong men go, without a large team around him to pull them back he's just not going to be able to follow. I don't know the complete lineup, maybe there'll be another team willing to do the donkey work to pull any breaks or attacks back but I just can't see that being the case. Plus I hear it's a bit of an uphill drag of a finish, which Cav is capable of but it isn't ideal. BUT, hopefully he can prove me wrong. Would love to see a Brit in the rainbow jersey. I also hope whoever does win it can give it as fantastic a year as Cadel did this year.

Milan - San Remo?

raindog

er.....
Cav had help up the Poggio, just like any other potential winner of MsR, but after that it's every man for himself, and I'd say that was a great win by anyone's standards.

Ball

Cav had help up the Poggio, just like any other potential winner of MsR, but after that it's every man for himself, and I'd say that was a great win by anyone's standards.

Oh of course, I'm not taking anything away from it. I just don't think he'll have the same support at the Worlds.

I'd also much rather err on the side of pessimism and be surprised :biggrin:

Top Bottom