[SPOILERS] Critérium du Dauphiné

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This week long race is coming up soon. Some good names in the current start list, Evans, Sanchez, Moncoutie, Wiggins, Millar is due back, Nibali and Tony Martin among others. There is a 50 odd km ITT in the middle and a few decent climbs elsewhere. Should be interesting.

Who is due a win ?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I think it will end up being a clash of styles between Wiggins and Nibali, rather similar to Hesjedal vs. Rodriguez... but will it have the same outcome?

lukesdad

Evans and Schleck will have a good look at each other no doubt. It'll be interesting to see the Europcar duo riding together too.

raindog

er.....
It'll be interesting to see the Europcar duo riding together too.
I'll be keeping an eye on Rolland and Voeckler as well.

Maybe Brad will be at half throttle with the Tour so close and Porte or Froome might go for it, depending on form? The only mountain top finish is the last stage, but there are some interesting profiles.

lukesdad

I'll be keeping an eye on Rolland and Voeckler as well.

Maybe Brad will be at half throttle with the Tour so close and Porte or Froome might go for it, depending on form? The only mountain top finish is the last stage, but there are some interesting profiles.

It would be nice to see Sky let Porte have a go. with the other 2 stretching their legs and supporting him.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I think it will end up being a clash of styles between Wiggins and Nibali, rather similar to Hesjedal vs. Rodriguez... but will it have the same outcome?

Nibali is a much better time triallist than Rodriguez, though, isn't he? Although with the TT being in the middle of the race rather than at the end, it will obviously affect the race in a different way.

Hard to see a winner outside Wiggins, Nibali or Evans - as I predict will be the three on the podium in the TdF. I can see Brad wearing yellow from start to finish in this one, although I agree it would be nice to see Sky let Porte or Froome off the leash. I suppose it depends how much Brad wants this one for himself. He could regard it as making a statement of intent, like he did last year, or he could feel he doesn't have to prove himself and keep his powder dry for the big one.

Of the others... Sanchez could be a contender. Schleck needs to ride himself into form, but unlike Basso in the Giro, I don't think he'll have the luxury of being allowed the opportunity. Would love to see Voeckler and Chavanel up there too.

Any takers for Simon Gerrans?

d.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'd like to see Wiggins test his form without going too deep in support of whoever is fitter out of Froome and Porte. Froome is a bit of an unknown quantity still after his stellar ride in the Vuelta and subsequent illness.
Schleck bros and Bruyneel and Kim Andersen are at loggerheads so it will be interesting if Andy is going to sulk like Frank did at the Giro or suck it up.
Tony Martin won the tour of Belgium last week so he's in some sort of form after the crash. The ITT should be fun. Is Fab back for this?

raindog

er.....
Well, according to his Grauniad blog, he'll be going for the win.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/may/31/dauphine-tour-france-bradley-wiggins
"I'll be going in with No1 on my back as defending champion, the first time I've done that in a stage race. I won it fairly comfortably last year and I've moved on again since then. I'm ahead of where I was back then so I'm going in to try and win it again. There are people who have been saying I need to be careful, that you can't win the Tour and the Dauphiné but I'd like to try to challenge that tradition."

Noodley

That's a fairly clear statement of intent from Wiggins, and he usually tells it as it is so looks like he thinks he is in with a shout for the Tour as well. I might just have to put some money where is mouth is!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I think it will end up being a clash of styles between Wiggins and Nibali

Is there an echo in here?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Actually I think that 'new member' is actually a spambot - all their posts just seem to be copies of other people's posts. I have reported it.

Top Bottom