Spoke has broken at the thread end

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

your call I suppose, but your just going round in circles, no pun intended

I have been a lot more assertive in this than any other communication I have had with them.

Send them a link to this thread.

I'll see what they say to my email first.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
A suggestion.... have a competent wheelbuilder inspect the wheel and put his/her assessment on headed paper.
I did this for a club member when his new bike developed similar problems and the LBS told him "it wasn't a racing bike what he'd purchased" and trying to blame the problem as a result of a club run. I thought that was a terrible excuse.....

He got a new free replacement wheel which he brought to me right away for inspection, same type of wheel, probably taken from a new bike, under tensioned spokes.... most factory built wheels are rubbish, including cheap Shimano wheels.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
I have been a lot more assertive in this than any other communication I have had with them.

I'll see what they say to my email first.

Also contact Cannondale again telling them what has happened and forward copies of all communications/dealings you had with LBS.

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

So apparently they hand't seen the email but I phoned them and they finally contacted Cannondale who have said they will supply the LBS with a set of "high quality spoke", I can't remember the exact name he gave them and the LBS will completely rebuild the wheel for free.

From what I understand he has built many wheels, I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and see what happens.

Personally, I wouldn't let this fellow near my wheels. You must have the patience of a saint to trust this bloke to rebuild the wheel with new spokes, however since you bought the bike with him, you've gotten yourself into bed with him, I guess you have little choice, under regs, they are entitled to attempt to repair. See what comes of it.

In an ideal world you'd have the bike returned and have nothing more to do with this shop, but I think that boat set sail a while ago. Or even better, learn to build wheels yourself and carry on enjoying the bike. But you've shown little interest in learning to build a wheel yourself, you are the mercy of these so called 'experienced' wheel builders. Good luck!*

When this wheel inevitably fails, consider it a reminder to check out Roger Musson's wheel building book. You'll find it illuminating, even if you never intend to build a wheel, you'll understand where these factory wheels and inexperienced builders are going so wrong.

*Not meaning to sound terse, I really do wish you the best of luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Personally, I wouldn't let this fellow near my wheels. You must have the patience of a saint to trust this bloke to rebuild the wheel with new spokes, however since you bought the bike with him, you've gotten yourself into bed with him, I guess you have little choice, under regs, they are entitled to attempt to repair. See what comes of it.

In an ideal world you'd have the bike returned and have nothing more to do with this shop, but I think that boat set sail a while ago. Or even better, learn to build wheels yourself and carry on enjoying the bike. But you've shown little interest in learning to build a wheel yourself, you are the mercy of these so called 'experienced' wheel builders. Good luck!*

When this wheel inevitably fails, consider it a reminder to check out Roger Musson's wheel building book. You'll find it illuminating, even if you never intend to build a wheel, you'll understand where these factory wheels and inexperienced builders are going so wrong.

*Not meaning to sound terse, I really do wish you the best of luck!

I do feel I at least need to see how this goes before I contemplate anything further.

I am actually quite interested in learning how to build wheels myself, my problem with it also stems from my lack of confidence in all things, I'd be so worried I would make things worse if I tried to teach myself. I am contemplating going on a wheel building course a place not far from me does (https://birminghambikefoundry.org/). For £60 it seems a good way for me to learn so that the first time I do it will be overseen by someone who knows what they are doing.

I will also check out Rogers Book.

I do feel I at least need to see how this goes before I contemplate anything further.

I am contemplating going on a wheel building course a place not far from me does (https://birminghambikefoundry.org/). For £60 it seems a good way for me to learn so that the first time I do it will be overseen by someone who knows what they are doing.

I will also check out Rogers Book.

That's great. It's not hard, once you've twigged the lacing pattern, it's just about consistency. There's no better way to build your self-esteem and confidence than learning a useful craft, IMO no amount of money spent can one up the satisfaction of saying "I built that" and knowing how to fix it if it goes wrong.

Look forward to hearing about your adventures!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

That's great. It's not hard, once you've twigged the lacing pattern, it's just about consistency. There's no better way to build your self-esteem and confidence than learning a useful craft, IMO no amount of money spent can one up the satisfaction of saying "I built that" and knowing how to fix it if it goes wrong.

Look forward to hearing about your adventures!

I bought Roger Musson's book yesterday and will try and book on their next course.

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Apparently I have competition pro double butted spokes or something like that on it now, be interesting to see what happens.

Top Bottom