Spoke has broken at the thread end

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Perhaps point the shop owner to this thread, he can even converse with experts here who had built many hundreds if not thousands of wheels. At the very least he could see how his reputation is being damaged by his and his staff's bullshoot.

Ajax Bay

Guru
E-mail then, drawing on thread content as necessary to Cannondale, copy to Northfield Cycles. Describe what's happened and what you have asked NC for and what they've done; and that it's not satisfactory. What do you seek: £25 refund for the spoke replacement and trueing the first time round, replacement rear wheel (at least) which is 'fit for purpose' (ie doesn't 'fall apart' after 600 miles) and gratuitous transfer of your tyre and cassette onto that wheel.
Hopefully the Cannondale pressure thus generated will make Northfield Cycles deal with you fairly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Perhaps point the shop owner to this thread, he can even converse with experts here who had built many hundreds if not thousands of wheels. At the very least he could see how his reputation is being damaged by his and his staff's bullshoot.

Even though I haven't made anything up I have posted here I still feel that there is the real possibility that I am the one at fault, I was reluctant to name them earlier for that reason, this will be down to my confidence issues etc.

E-mail then, drawing on thread content as necessary to Cannondale, copy to Northfield Cycles. Describe what's happened and what you have asked NC for and what they've done; and that it's not satisfactory. What do you seek: £25 refund for the spoke replacement and trueing the first time round, replacement rear wheel (at least) which is 'fit for purpose' (ie doesn't 'fall apart' after 600 miles) and gratuitous transfer of your tyre and cassette onto that wheel.
Hopefully that Cannondale pressure will make Northfield Cycles deal with you fairly.

I think I will give Cannondale another go. Thanks.

Apologies all, I know I am hard work, All you advice has been brilliant.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Trust me the only 'fault' is not being more confident. Some would not see that as a fault at all. You are not being treated well at all by the shop and to put it bluntly they are taking advantage of you.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Show the video of the loose spoke to Cannondale and tell them the response of Northfield Cycles.
And that you have now given NC plenty of chances to fix the problem and they have not fixed it but charged you for re-truing the wheel (not done) and now telling you that there is nothing wrong with it (loose spoke).
Also point out that NC are damaging their reputation and can they afford to lose custom/sales because of rogue/incompetent dealers.

P.S.
If that wheel hasn't gone out of true then it wasn't built properly in the first place and you're more likely to have more spoke failures in the very near future.
If he thinks that every 4th spoke does nothing then he's an incompetent moron!

Ajax Bay

Guru
OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

https://www.cannondale.com/en/Great Britain/contact-us-form
"Your local bike shop should be able to answer most questions about your bike – often more quickly than we can here at headquarters!
For all these reasons, we suggest you visit your local bike shop before contacting us at Cannondale directly. You’ll receive great service and support your local bicycle community at the same time! "
Local Authorized Cannondale Retailers
http://northfieldcycles.co.uk/

Yea they were reluctant to help via email until I pestered a bit and it got the response I posted above.

What I should probably do is check the spoke goes loose again as he tightened it when I went in.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Cannondale said:
"I spent over 20 years in a store as a manager / mechanic and spokes coming loose and the odd spoke snapping can happen but if this happened on many occasions I would have normally contacted the warranty department just to see what their line on the matter was just so that I was aware if they could help or not. There is a product on the market called spoke freeze that I used to use when coming across this issue which is applied to the spoke thread during the re-truing / building process ( similar to Loctite ) which should hold the spoke in place.
I would try to speak to the store again."
[Cannondale gave] the response I posted above.

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Well the spoke seems to be staying tight now after a couple of rides, time will tell I guess. Thank you for all the advice, I think I will email them to outline my complaint but I am not going to hold my breath about anything happening. I'll just have to find a different LBS.

I know , because you have previously said , you don't have the confidence when you go to the shop, why not contact trading standards, explain all so far, and ask for advice. you have shown a hell of a lot more patience than I would have.

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

I have just sent an email to the store explaining how frustrated I am and complaining about the issues such as surely the same spoke breaking again in 150 miles is not normal and asking what they can do in regards to rectifying the problem. I will see what the response is and then go from there.

Top Bottom