Spoke Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I had a similar experience the other day, it was the rear mech hitting the spokes when on the largest cog, I guess the low limit stop had moved slightly. Didn't get the noise on the flat or under low pedalling force, but as soon as I hit a hill 'ping-ping-ping' it went. A half turn on the low limit screw by the roadside fixed it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I had a similar experience the other day, it was the rear mech hitting the spokes when on the largest cog, I guess the low limit stop had moved slightly. Didn't get the noise on the flat or under low pedalling force, but as soon as I hit a hill 'ping-ping-ping' it went. A half turn on the low limit screw by the roadside fixed it.
The limit screw is not going to move on its own. More likely to be the mech hanger has taken a knock so I suggest checking that before continuing to ride the bike.

wonderloaf

Veteran
The limit screw is not going to move on its own. More likely to be the mech hanger has taken a knock so I suggest checking that before continuing to ride the bike.
Good point, I'll give it a check over the weekend. I did put a new mech on a few weeks ago and it's been ok until the last couple of rides so maybe something has just come loose (fingers crossed).

wonderloaf

Veteran
Good point, I'll give it a check over the weekend. I did put a new mech on a few weeks ago and it's been ok until the last couple of rides so maybe something has just come loose (fingers crossed).
Checked the hanger bolt and found I could get about another half turn or so before it was fully tightened so hopefully this was the source of my problem, I'll find out tomorrow if the weather ever cheers up!

Top Bottom