1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spokes - length

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by yenrod, 17 Apr 2008.

1. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Are they 'genreally' of a certain length for a 700c wheel or can mm mean they wont fit = what I need is a few spokes for my wheel BUT I've not got the length measurements or one with me.

The wheel's a Tiagra R/Hub and Mavic Sport rim 32H.

2. Rapples

Rapples Guru

You should be able to find a calculator on Sheldon Brown, or good LBS will work it out fo you

3. OP
    OP
    yenrod

yenrod Guest

Thanks !

4. Jakob

Jakob New Member

5. andygates

andygates New Member

Spocalc has served me well for dozens of wheels.

A decent bike shop will have a lits of their own, too - so you can just ask them for the "right spokes". Plus if they're wrong, you can return them ;)

6. OP
    OP
    yenrod

yenrod Guest

7. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Why don't you just take the wheel in and get the new spokes fitted and the wheel trued in the shop. I usually only costs a tenner or so and will be much less hassle than trying to do it yourself.

8. 02GF74

02GF74 Über Member

spoke length depends on the hub, rim and lacing pattern so as those 3 vary in design and size, so will the spoke's lengths.

9. OP
    OP
    yenrod

yenrod Guest

Dom,

Don't you get any satisfaction out of DIY !!!!

10. kyuss

kyuss Über Member

A standard double butted spoke will cost less than £1 (maybe as cheap as 30p if plain guage) and if you know what you're doing even a drive side spoke will only take 10-15 minutes to fit and retrue. Some bike shops have a two or three day waiting list for bookings and I'd rather save the £10 and a whole bunch of time and hassle and do it myself.

11. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

A friend of mine was recently charged £15 to replace 1 spoke