Sportive banditry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
What's to stop you just tagging along on a sportive held on open roads?

So long as you don't use the feed stations etc you're just out for a ride really?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
nothing.. if it's on the pubic roads.

ASC1951

Guru
aberal said:
...but what would be the point?
Exactly.

I don't share some people's enthusiasm for driving all over the region just to do a timed and supported ride but if I had paid my £25 and was followed round by someone who plainly hadn't, I would think "What an arse".

If you can't operate a map, watch and cafe on your own, Bonker, you need to learn. OTOH if you want to pirate a sportive because you want the buzz of cycling in a race but don't want to pay the £25, you are an arse.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I did a sportive route without paying ,had a great day riding around the route.Wouldnt consider doing it without paying on the same day as the event though :-)

Renard

What I don't really understand is if you want the buzz of cycling in a race get road racing. Sportives are a bit pseudo.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Togley said:
What I don't really understand is if you want the buzz of cycling in a race get road racing. Sportives are a bit pseudo.

I see Sportives a bit like Marathon running.People do it for a wide variety of reasons from proving to themselves that they can or raising money for charity ,just for fun etc Very few are real contenders to win .

Theres a burger van on a mountain top that the Dragon Sportive goes past.Chatting to the proprietor he was amazed one year when a group of young guys doing the dragon stopped and had a BBQ in the layby.Not sure if they carried it all up in their jersey pockets or met someone up there with a car.:troll:

PK99

Legendary Member
bonker said:
What's to stop you just tagging along on a sportive held on open roads?

So long as you don't use the feed stations etc you're just out for a ride really?

the more people who do that and the greater the numbers and the more riders who are not identifiable the more likely that sportives will fall foul of the authorities and have restrictions placed upon them

Many people do it on the L2B - but that is on closed/police controlled roads

OP
OP
bonker

bonker

Guru
Sportive bandit

I promised someone I would do this event and have found that it's sold out.
I'm not an arse, honest.

amaferanga

Veteran
Togley said:

Cat3/Cat4 races are usually less than 40 miles, not particularly hilly and on circuits. Not really the same thing as a 100 mile hilly sportive is it?

Top Bottom