Sportive cancelled - should the cash be refunded?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The danger for KTH is that I and many others like me will simply "choose not to buy" any further products from them. It's not like there's a shortage of sportive events or organisers.....And these days word of mouth, or rather "word of Facebook" means that a company who is seen to adhere to the letter, rather than the spirit may find themselves with an un-enviable reputation very quickly.
that's it precisely. Individuals can't insure against a loss of a few pounds, but KTG could have gone to Hiscox and sorted it out in minutes. You can insure weddings, garden parties and school fetes...and charity rides.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The participants could and should have taken out insurance. Or simply be prepared to swallow the loss. The company was selling a product that was advertised as having a no money back condition. Surely as grow ups we can choose to buy their product or not buy their product.
No insurance company will cover individuals for a £30 event for a sensible premium. We have consumer law in this country because there is a real imbalance in power between corporates and individuals. Quite rightly, the risk falls more on the corporate than on the individual.

bianchi1

Guru
The danger for KTH is that I and many others like me will simply "choose not to buy" any further products from them. It's not like there's a shortage of sportive events or organisers.....And these days word of mouth, or rather "word of Facebook" means that a company who is seen to adhere to the letter, rather than the spirit may find themselves with an un-enviable reputation very quickly.

Absolutely. That's the nature of business. KTH offer no money back cycle sportives (clearly stated)....if you dont want to buy this product don't buy it.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Absolutely. That's the nature of business. KTH offer no money back cycle sportives (clearly stated)....if you dont want to buy this product don't buy it.
Not strictly true though mate. The polocini rides that Al from this parish organises offers an alternative place on any other rides they organise even if its you that cancels for any reason. So it can and should be offered imo.
Thats why i will never hesitate to pay for Polocini rides but think twice about a KTG ride.

bianchi1

Guru
Not strictly true though mate. The polocini rides that Al from this parish organises offers an alternative place on any other rides they organise even if its you that cancels for any reason. So it can and should be offered imo.
Thats why i will never hesitate to pay for Polocini rides but think twice about a KTG ride.

Im surprised you would even think once about booking with KTG again. If you believe a company could and should offer a service that they don't....dont use them.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
If you look back at the weather for the last 2 weeks in March over a long period of time you would realise that weather serious enough to cancel an event like this is relatively common. A customer is exposed to the financial outlay of £30 plus other minor costs. A commercial provider is liable to £???????. I think they have been very naive if they did not foresee this.

I would argue that wouldbe participants are mugs for signing up for £25-£30 sportives, in March.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Im surprised you would even think once about booking with KTG again. If you believe a company could and should offer a service that they don't....dont use them.
Fair point. My caveat is i did it last year and it was great. This year i missed the cut off and subsequently didnt get bitten so the pain is not as personal as some others are finding on here but the principal is the same.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I would argue that wouldbe participants are mugs for signing up for £25-£30 sportives, in March.

I tend to agree, especially local ones (for local events you really should have some local knowledge). I know Polocini have been mentioned above so using them/him as a case in point, Al is a top bloke, very nice, enthusiastic and likeable (said having met him 5-6 times), I like his cafe and will stop there any time I am in the locality (this place is like a second home to a couple of my club mates), further I am sure his events are excellent, but I don't ride the sportives he promotes because I would be paying to ride the local lanes that I would be riding on a Sunday anyway. I said as much to Al and wished him success with his Winter Sprinter event, he understands fully why people like me don't do his events!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm fortunate that the cost of this event isn't going to be significant to me, although I'm aware that others have seen it as a major expense. In addition I've had to miss 2 events so far this year (holiday/family commitments), but the total cost for both was just £12

It's more that Kilo to Go are really messing this up for themselves and it's the principle of the thing ...

400bhp

Guru
I'm fortunate that the cost of this event isn't going to be significant to me, although I'm aware that others have seen it as a major expense. In addition I've had to miss 2 events so far this year (holiday/family commitments), but the total cost for both was just £12

It's more that Kilo to Go are really messing this up for themselves and it's the principle of the thing ...

Just showing their true colours.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Just wondering what sort of stuff is flying around about KTG on the social media sites? I don't do them so would like to hear what is being said about them.
I did some of their events last year and had reason to contact them regarding some information after an event. Well I used the contact email address and received no response. In total I tried 3 times and they did not show me the slightest bit of courtesy by replying. Oh and by the way my emails were polite and did contain the words 'Please' and 'Thank You'.
That made my mind up about them, even though it was pretty small and insignificant. They have now really shown their true colours in a large way.
One day this market for sportives will probably start to lose it appeal and maybe they might get their backsides bitten.

Well its been a few days now and I thought there would have been a statement from KTG about refunds. Instead they have continued to delete posts (mine included) when people have politely asked for an explanation and also blocked people from posting on their FB page.

Whilst they ask people to be patient as it understandably takes time to sort out, they do have time to promote their other events!?

However a KTO Cheshire Cat complaint page has appeared on FB... Will a response ever be issued by KTG???? I'm not holding my breath.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Are wiggle blameless in this? Are they simply sponsors? Either way i can't see them being entirely happy with the negative press this has generated on cyling fora in particulary.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I notice they have the Mercia in Motion event on 7th April. The forecast is poor for the next few days up until this weekend, so that only leaves a further week.
Given the way our weather is, they could end up in another difficult situation.

Top Bottom