Sportive cancelled - should the cash be refunded?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think this has been a big OMG moment for them. The weather has never been this bad. But give them time to get their act together. I reckon a refund will come.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Bianchi 1 made an interesting point. He said you could have 2 prices, one just the entry and a 2nd with the option for insurance.
Whenever I book flights with Monarch you are always offered insurance and you have to uncheck the option, I have never booked with Ryanair but when doing comparisons it appears they work the same way. By cancelling the option you have made a decision and it is up to you to then cover yourself.
Could this be a possibility? Sure some will disagree but if it was a small add on fee it could be a safeguard especially for early season and late season events

bianchi1

Guru
I notice they have the Mercia in Motion event on 7th April. The forecast is poor for the next few days up until this weekend, so that only leaves a further week.
Given the way our weather is, they could end up in another difficult situation.

They could just run the ride regardless of the conditions, snow, ice, flood or tornado and leave the decision to ride to the participants. That way they would be providing the service they advertised and would not be liable to offer refunds (not that they state that they do in their terms and conditions) or free places in future rides.

Some people might die...but that's a small price to pay in order that a few enjoy a day out on a bike.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Whenever I book flights with Monarch you are always offered insurance
Different kind of insurance. Your rights in the event of the flight being cancelled by the weather are the same whether you've bought their insurance, someone else's insurance or no insurance at all.

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
They take a different approach within the world of audax, in the case of horrendous weather, including:

1. Not cancel the event: Organisers may continue regardless of the weather. Puritan audaxers suggest that this is the best approach. On the same day as the Cat being cancelled, an audax went ahead with 3 out of 100 riders starting :wacko:
2. Allow a ride on 'Permanent Conditions': Riders complete the route at any time of their choice within a given period after the cancelled event. They can still follow their route cards/GPX files and collect proofs-of-passage for provision to AUK.

If entrants are unable to perform either of the above, none generally complain at loosing their entry fee worth a few quid.

Unfortunately, neither of the above situations are any good for sportive providers. Entrants are not undertaking a private excursion and providers are subject to legal liabilities; and the permanent ride is not feasible due to the lack of waymarking, feedstops or timing chips.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
As posted on the Cheshire Cat event thread:

"Well I've contacted [Kilo to Go] and asked to either be added to the Wiggle White Peak in October or the 2014 Cheshire Cat as I can't do the 7th July and September looks a no-no as well for family reasons.

I'll update when/if I get a response. "

Another day of active promotion of future events and not even a mention of refunds or what the actual policy is. I hope there are no angry legal eagles in the bunch as it could get a lot more expensive than an entry fee!!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I thought the policy was clearly documented in the Ts & Cs on signing up? Didn't someone post them on this thread? Or maybe that was a different forum :P

writing something in T&Cs and making it stand up in court are two very different things

bianchi1

Guru
Another day of active promotion of future events and not even a mention of refunds or what the actual policy is. I hope there are no angry legal eagles in the bunch as it could get a lot more expensive than an entry fee!!

Their actual policy is (as mentioned clearly in their terms and conditions)

11) KILO TO GO reserves the right to terminate an individual's ride on health and safety grounds. Rides will only be postponed, re-routed or stopped for reasons of safety. Entry fees are not refundable. Entrants may not transfer or defer their entry. If KILO TO GO has to cancel an event as a result of hostilities, political unrest or other circumstances amounting to force majeure, it shall inform the entrants without delay and shall provide entrants an alternative ride in an event of comparable standard, if available.

You may not agree with this approach, but its clearly stated.

I notice that you can buy cancelation insurance for the etap du tour. 11 euros.

Their actual policy is (as mentioned clearly in their terms and conditions)
You may not agree with this approach, but its clearly stated.

But is it legal? There is not enough space here to discuss it, but in summary its very unlikely to be for a number of reasons.

As stated before, if it was a couple of mates out to do people a favour there would not be an issue. KTG are in this to make money for THEMSELVES from cyclists, the fact they have lost money is absolutely no concern of mine. They took a risk, it failed (on this occasion) and as a result they appear to be in breach of contract.

I would suggest visiting Companies House etc if you would like evidence of how much money they have made in the past, it is there for all to see.

The only certainty is that the longer they leave this the worse it will get. The list of unhappy/angry customers is growing quite rapidly!

bianchi1

Guru
But is it legal? There is not enough space here to discuss it, but in summary its very unlikely to be for a number of reasons.

As stated before, if it was a couple of mates out to do people a favour there would not be an issue. KTG are in this to make money for THEMSELVES from cyclists, the fact they have lost money is absolutely no concern of mine. They took a risk, it failed (on this occasion) and as a result they appear to be in breach of contract.

I would suggest visiting Companies House etc if you would like evidence of how much money they have made in the past, it is there for all to see.

The only certainty is that the longer they leave this the worse it will get. The list of unhappy/angry customers is growing quite rapidly!

Shocking news that companies are in it to make money for themselves! Whatever next?

redcard

Veteran
Shocking news that companies are in it to make money for themselves! Whatever next?

Thankfully there's enough people like you who are prepared to bend over and take one for the team that it means the rest of us don't have to suffer.

Why do you think the banks are paying out billions in bank charges and mis-sold PPI? The customers signed up to the terms and conditions, didn't they?

Top Bottom