Sportive Etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Gonna sign up for a 100 mile sportive in April with a couple of mates. 75 mile route also available, missing out a 25 mile loop from the ton. Having done sportives before, always found myself going slower than I could do so as to not leave my friend/s alone, which does get a bit frustrating. So should I a) say its every man for himself and we all go at own pace b) go at his pace, which often involves me dawdling so as not to leave him behind c) go at his pace for 50miles then my pace for second half (i.e. on my own) or d) suggest he does the 75mile route, I do 100 and we meet at the end (although he'll be done an hour or so before me). Any help/tales of similar experiences will be appreciated.

screenman

Legendary Member
Does it matter if you go slow and help him get around, it is after all not a race.

Stinboy

Über Member
If you've signed up with a couple of mates, I'd stick to that and ride with them. Or, you could agree to wait at the feedstops (does mean hanging around though).

Personally, when I want to do a long ride at my own pace, I just do a long solo ride. Perhaps in the month before the event do a few 100s at a blisteringly quick pace and then use the sportive as a recovery ride :smile:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
If you are going to do sportives you should enjoy them. Do your own thing, then meet at the end for a beer or coffee or what ever and chat about your ride. simple:okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do it together.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sportive's are one ride where you can leave your friend behind. He's not going to get lost or take a different way, so you will meet a the end.
:laugh: You've not heard about some sportive riders I know, then! Best so far was starting to follow a club social ride that happened to use one of the sportive roads, thinking they were doing the sportive, then arriving to bemused looks at some village hall car park where the club starts their rides... fortunately one of them had space on their car bike rack and was willing to drop the lost rider back on the sportive route!

Top Bottom