Sportive "races"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
...and the bloke dressed as a baboon having a day out.

I wasn't dressed as a baboon... I just happen to have a massive red arse, OK?
smile.gif

freecyclist

I wasn't dressed as a baboon... I just happen to have a massive red arse, OK?
smile.gif

Wont ask how you got the red arse and the purple helmet. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
B

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Ok. So the individual cyclist in the Sportive decides if it's a day out, a personal challenge or a bit of a race. I get that and it seems reasonable.

But, if someone like the attractive lady in the CA article says she came 7th fastest women and beat most of the men she's assuming and the article is confirming that it is some kind of race. I think the article should have included a caveat stating that some of the people she "beat" were just on a day out or just testing themselves.

And I'm not bothered because it's a women, I always have a smile and a wink for nice young ladies.

400bhp

Guru
Sportives, or sportifs, started on the continent and are most definitely raced over there. Some ex-pros make a decent income out of them too, but that doesn't stop the vast majority of participants doing them either as a personal challenge or a day out.

Think London Marathon. Paula Radcliffe racing everyone, me racing myself and the bloke dressed as a baboon having a day out.

On closed roads.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
On closed roads.

and your point is?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Ok. So the individual cyclist in the Sportive decides if it's a day out, a personal challenge or a bit of a race. I get that and it seems reasonable.

But, if someone like the attractive lady in the CA article says she came 7th fastest women and beat most of the men she's assuming and the article is confirming that it is some kind of race. I think the article should have included a caveat stating that some of the people she "beat" were just on a day out or just testing themselves.

And I'm not bothered because it's a women, I always have a smile and a wink for nice young ladies.

is it better or worse because you consider her attractive?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I got beat by a bloke dressed as a snowman in a 10k race once :whistle:

He was really fast, man!

Just watched the coverage of the Birmingham Half Marathon (did I tell you I ran in it, and completed the course in 1 hr 46 11s :tired: ). There was an elite athlete doing it in a banana costume, and managed to keep pace with the eventual women's winner for at least half the course.
Her comment at the end? "At least I beat the bloke in the banana costume!". Forget winning, PB on a tough course, etc. Banana whipped, so happy!

OP
OP
B

brokenflipflop

Veteran
is it better or worse because you consider her attractive?

She is quite a pretty little thing but the point was I didn't understand the etiquette of cycling Sportives.

Reading through the replies it appears I'm not alone. Perhaps in my opening post I shouldn't have mentioned that it was Adams spare rib in the article.

Top Bottom