Sportive "races"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Loads of 'real' bike races, and virtually all time trials are run on open roads too. Tri- and duathlons. In fact road closures are pretty damn rare, and only really happen for the most important events.

Lets not compare apples with pairs.

I was responding to an incorrect analogy with sportives and marathons.

400bhp

Guru
Sportives are like marathons in many respects. Whether you come 11,000th or 11,001st in the London marathon doesn't mean much as you would be amongst the jogging herds, but coming 8th is impressively high up the list and she would almost certainly have been amongst some competitive cyclists.

Sorry Norm, but they are not.

freecyclist

Loads of 'real' bike races, and virtually all time trials are run on open roads too. Tri- and duathlons. In fact road closures are pretty damn rare, and only really happen for the most important events.

+1 Even Fred Whitton, arguably the best placed sportive for road closures (due to it's popularity, and dangerous nature of some of the descents) has failed to make any inroads into that particular area.

Most actual races are held on open roads, closing roads in the UK is a major, major undertaking. Surrey Classic this year is a great example of what we're talking about. Thousands of people involved.

Obviously sportives aren't races, but a lot of participants treat them thus, and the standard of riding is often shocking. I guarantee any Sunday group ride is far far better behaved and organised than pretty much any sportive.
My 2 penneth :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Didn't understand much of that. Just nipping out for my Sun before work. I'll ask Steve and Fred at work, they might not know the answer but at least I'll understand them when they say what the ***** a Sportive.

wave.gif

Moss

I think if people genuinely think it's a race then these sorts of events on open roads will soon disappear.

They won't be able to get insurance.

I'm sure more people would participate in Sportive rides if : 1, The entery fee was a little less!! Some of these events are a money making exersize! £65, entry for some of the sportive events!

2, if people stopped reffering to them as "Un-Official" road races! Although I can understand the challenge to be first past the post in any type of cycling event.

Lets remember that organised cycling rides are for everyone, not just the elite riders and amateur road racing types, give a thought for those cyclists that see it as a challenge just to complete the course.

Top Bottom