Sportives - are they out of control?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
they are only races for the small amount of individuals that think they are - do we know how many people that think they are races - NO

i would remove two things from sportives if it helps people think that its not a race and thats timing chips and numbers on bikes.

Nope-most think they are. Have a look in most of the sportive threads and it's "I completed it in this time".

Openly many may not think they are races but subconsciously they clearly do.

400bhp

Guru
Several problems, judging by some of the more coherent posts on the thread. Unfortunatly, lukesdad seems to have missed the OP's request to 'discuss sensibly'...

Are you surprised?:evil:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Nope-most think they are. Have a look in most of the sportive threads and it's "I completed it in this time".

Openly many may not think they are races but subconsciously they clearly do.
They did it in a time, but they didnt ask or state what position they came in as its not a race.

We'll start with a hill climb shall we ?FFS it's a time trial!

Yes, I think most people get that already and I'm suprised you felt the need to point it out. I don't think anyone here thinks that TTs are only ridden on flat roads. Anything ridden against the clock is a time trial - up down, road, mtb, whatever. Sportives, however, are not time trials, because time trials (of any sort) are races - and sportives aren't (races, that is). I'm pretty sure that's been said already. The objective of a TT is to be the fastest, which is why it's a race. The objective of a sportive is to complete the course within a generous time allowance - which is why it is not a race. Just because some people choose to ride sportives as fast as they can does not make them races.

The fact that you feel it is necessary to point out stuff that most people already take for granted is a bit odd. This was a good, interesting, progressive discussion until you turned up.

Last edited:

Dmcd33

Just a thought. Would removing the timing chips and bike numbers greatly reduce the number of people trying to get around in a specific time? if it were me I would just put strava on and check my time afterwards. It would take the responsibility away from the organiser and put it with the rider? Still going to have people Racing/pushing it.

I have done 5 Sportives this year and witnessed no issues at all with poor behaviour.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Just a thought. Would removing the timing chips and bike numbers greatly reduce the number of people trying to get around in a specific time? if it were me I would just put strava on and check my time afterwards. It would take the responsibility away from the organiser and put it with the rider? Still going to have people Racing/pushing it.

I have done 5 Sportives this year and witnessed no issues at all with poor behaviour.

People would be able to track via Strava and some would still "race", however the sportive organiser would no longer be promoting this behaviour or perpetuating it, by providing a reward such as leader boards etc. No one can stop you timing yourself, but if everyone is timing themselves, comparing results becomes a lot harder therefore the competitive element is reduced.

Rather alarmingly, I have just seen on another forum this morning a thread about a sportive organised that is actually giving prizes to the fastest riders. How they can claim this is not a race and avoid the laws regarding racing on the highways is rather baffling, "Prizes for the fastest riders, but remember, it is NOT a race" erm...

Dmcd33

People would be able to track via Strava and some would still "race", however the sportive organiser would no longer be promoting this behaviour or perpetuating it, by providing a reward such as leader boards etc. No one can stop you timing yourself, but if everyone is timing themselves then comparing results becomes a lot harder therefore the competitive element is reduced.

Rather alarmingly, I have just seen on another forum this morning a thread about, a sportive organised that is actually giving prizes to the fastest riders. How they can claim this is not a race and avoid the laws regarding racing on the highways is rather baffling, "Prizes for the fastest riders, but remember, it is NOT a race" erm...

Giving prizes for the fastest promotes dangerous cycling. This should be kept to closed roads, tracks etc..

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Giving prizes for the fastest promotes dangerous cycling. This should be kept to closed roads, tracks etc..

Most racing in the UK is done on the open roads, whether that racing is time trials or bunch races such as road racing. These events have winners and prizes and are highly competitive. Racing does inherently increase risk, more so for some individuals than others, however there are laws that govern such events in order to mitigate such risks.

As much as I do love racing on a closed road, I don't think racing should be confined to only being carried out on closed roads, I think current regulation and new schemes such as the BC Accredited marshal scheme are making sufficient strides to maintain and increase safety in such events. In 40 or so races this year that I have taken part in on the open roads, I know of only 1 accident, a rider came off on a bend, he was riding solo, there was no outside interference, no-one else involved in the incident, arguably he wouldn't have crashed had he not been pushing hard during a race, but that is 1 rider, in 40 events, of which each will have had at least 50 participants. So 1 in about 2000. Probably quite a bit less when you factor in some of the events had over 100 participants.

I am not arguing anti-sportive, I am arguing that there should be equivalent legislation surrounding sportives as there are road racing or other mass start competative events.

Last edited:
Top Bottom