Sportives - are they out of control?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
:hello: Peoples... What are they? Sportives, I mean, what do you do on one? I am assuming it is more involved than a few people cycling around chatting & waving at each other?

Yes, I am being serious what is a Sportive? and for that matter what is an Audax? and is a TT done on a road or in one of the velo stadium type thingies?

11 pages and I do not think I have read what the problem is with sportives even if some of the riders are racing !?
Several problems, judging by some of the more coherent posts on the thread. Unfortunatly, lukesdad seems to have missed the OP's request to 'discuss sensibly'...

:hello: Peoples... What are they? Sportives, I mean, what do you do on one? I am assuming it is more involved than a few people cycling around chatting & waving at each other?

Yes, I am being serious what is a Sportive? and for that matter what is an Audax? and is a TT done on a road or in one of the velo stadium type thingies?
Can you not just google the terms - or start another thread?

U

User6179

A sportive is a non competitive competition between non racing cyclists racing each other , hope that helps:smile:

Berties

Fast and careful!
sportive,tt or audax all should have care and consideration for each other ,other road users,animals on the road and verges as in the new forest,respect for local residents and don't litter,we all look at average times speeds etc and will compare to others,its part of being competitive,yes its not a race,but if the average is 14 for the course for a 100km audax i would aim for more for a good time ,still staying safe and considering road conditions

lukesdad

The comparison between a sportive and a time trial is a none starter.
If you test yourself against the clock it becomes a time trial,if you test yourself against the clock in a sportive the same applies. What part of that do you not understand?

lukesdad

...an. Mtb downhill is a time trial....

lukesdad

For the majority of riders in a sportive it's a test against the clock, to them it's a time trial, maybe not as you may envisage one but its still a time trial none the less.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
A sportive is a non competitive competition between non racing cyclists racing each other , hope that helps:smile:

Thank you that makes perfect sense, sounds to me like they are out of control with that description :smile:

Can you not just google the terms - or start another thread?

Oh sorry I would have done had I realised that it would offend your delicate sensibilities.

Your sunglasses are on your head aren't they?

Top Bottom