Sportives - are they out of control?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
i'm sure this years first ever london ride 100 also used timing chips for its 20,000 riders. it might have been on closed roads but it was still a sportive not a race.

Isn't that the event where that rather comical picture of some doofus crashing during the "bunch sprint" originated from? lmao!

article-2384343-1B24A5F2000005DC-746_964x627.jpg

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Isn't that the event where that rather comical picture of some doofus crashing during the "bunch sprint" originated from? lmao!

article-2384343-1B24A5F2000005DC-746_964x627.jpg
aint got a clue - didnt watch it

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Basically Sportive organisers need to decide, do they want to promote a ride or a race (considering they want to make money, a race for amateur athletes is not likely to be what they want to be promoting). If the former, then they need to strip away any of the race-like aspects completelly. If the latter, then they need to just make the jump into organising a full blown race rather than create a race like event but state often "it is not a race" to dodge regulations.

At present too many of them get away with straddling the line, they get as close to creating a race as they possibly can, leaving only enough swivvel factor to dodge the regulations.

Last edited:

Hip Priest

Veteran
This is the part I don't get. How hard is to get together for a ride with just your friends and do EXACTLY what you want, rather than some other dude's idea of what you should do? For free. And without all the annoying testosterone. And rubbish food.

Because you don't get to go home and spend £40 on a picture of yourself labouring up a minor ramp on your featherweight carbon bike wearing your XXXL Sky jersey.

Leodis

Veteran
i'm sure this years first ever london ride 100 also used timing chips for its 20,000 riders. it might have been on closed roads but it was still a sportive not a race.

That is the whole point isnt it, Sportives were 3000+ turn up can be a problem for other road users.

jowwy

Because you don't get to go home and spend £40 on a picture of yourself labouring up a minor ramp on your featherweight carbon bike wearing your XXXL Sky jersey.
not all sportive riders are overweight MAMILS hip priest. the same as not all cyclists are pavement hopping, red light jumpers and idiots of the road.

jowwy

That is the whole point isnt it, Sportives were 3000+ turn up can be a problem for other road users.
have you ridden the dragon ride - the route isnt exactly rush hour traffic its in pretty rural wales. seen more cars in a formula one race

VamP

Banned
some people prefer to pay for organised rides, some people prefer to organise their own. horses for courses

So sportives are for people who don't like racing, but like to pay to ride? While surrounded by others who would like to race, but are unable? You're not helping me understand.

jowwy

So sportives are for people who don't like racing, but like to pay to ride? While surrounded by others who would like to race, but are unable? You're not helping me understand.
i just said it was horses for courses, im not here to help you understand.

Top Bottom