Sports people who never fulfilled their

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Jimmy White... Always the bridesmaid...

What an ugly bridesmaid he must have been!!

Awesome player. Thoroughly nice chap. Just never seemed to quite manage it. (In terms of world champs at least!)

JW has already been mentioned in posts 18 and 28.... :whistle:^_^

Anyway, Alex 'Hurricane' Higgins was another one who could have done better.

tyred

Legendary Member
What about Pierluigi Martini? Had a knack of driving Minardis to places they had no business being, including a front row grid position and briefly the lead of the Portuguese GP in 1989. Would love to have seen him have a crack in a decent car.

As it is Wimbledon and my knowledge of tennis players only extends to the one I fancy...

Gabriella Sabatini only ever won one grand slam (us in 1990). She was a couple of championship points ahead in the Wimbledon final the following year but still managed to lose to Graf.

(And she is still rather fit 22 years later)

+1 for gabriella on the fancy front

PaulB

Legendary Member
Howard Gayle. Better than John Barnes, FASTER than John Barnes but was never given enough of a chance in the team due to the stifling racism that ran through football at the time. And Howie's self respect wouldn't allow him to accept what he was being told to succumb to. He stood up for himself every step of the way but it cost him his place in history. We remember you though, Howie. We'll never forget you.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I have a friend who says Robin Friday was the best Reading player he ever saw. I think there was even a book written about him called The Best Player You Never Saw. He drank lots, sometimes before the game. I think he also took drugs, and died in his 30s.

I saw a documentary years ago about a young Leicester City football player from Ireland who was touted as being as good as Gary Lineker. He was arrested as a suspected IRA terrorist on a a visit home, had a confession beaten out of him and was locked up for a long time. Years later his conviction was quashed and he was deemed innocent. I can't remember his name and my google search turned up nothing. Didn't do his football career any good.

Top Bottom