Sports people who never fulfilled their

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brodiej

Veteran
As it is Wimbledon and my knowledge of tennis players only extends to the one I fancy...

Gabriella Sabatini only ever won one grand slam (us in 1990). She was a couple of championship points ahead in the Wimbledon final the following year but still managed to lose to Graf.

(And she is still rather fit 22 years later)

She's a keen cyclist now - she's done a couple of Etapes I think

http://www.bmc-racing.com/us-en/bmc-switzerland/friends-of-bmc/gabriela-sabatini.html

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
In Snooker, Jimmy White and, of course, the late Paul Hunter.

As for cycling.... Anyone in the AG2R La Mondiale Team!! :laugh:

400bhp

Guru
As it is Wimbledon and my knowledge of tennis players only extends to the one I fancy...

Gabriella Sabatini only ever won one grand slam (us in 1990). She was a couple of championship points ahead in the Wimbledon final the following year but still managed to lose to Graf.

Bloody hell, you're not wrong there :swoon:

U

User169

Ramprakash. Flayed county attacks, but could never really make it happen at Test level. Not entirely his fault - he was a bit of a victim of the selectors' constant chopping and changing. Maybe if he'd come to prominance now he'd have got a better run in the team.

Of current heavily touted footballers, Ravel Morrison seems almost certain to screw it up.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Saw him play, he was quite lazy overall but when he put in a bit of effort he was superb, made it look so easy.

Whilst he was at Forest he scored a goal against Chelsea that was simply too good to be true.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
I suppose he may be back, but the Pakistani kid (17/18 at the time) Mohammad Amir, banned for match fixing. I'm not a cricket fan but there's a touch of real tragedy about a lad from a dirt poor background, shaping up to be maybe the best bowler ever, being sucked into that.

Ex Spurs winger David Bentley touted as the new Beckham. Scored one fab goal against Arsenal, but in general you worried when you were watching near the halfway line that his crosses would hit you in the face.

ohnovino

Large Member
Nathan Porritt.

Seven years ago he was one of the most highly-rated youngsters in English football, leading to Chelsea getting caught "tapping him up" on an episode of Panorama. He never fulfilled that potential (some say because his ego took over) and the highest level he played at was a few games on loan at Darlington (who's fans described him as their worst player of all time). After bouncing around a few lower-league teams in far-flung parts of Europe, he's now playing for the mighty Billingham Synthonia

She was rather lovely.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Graeme Hick, Never repeated his county form in the test arena despite having hit 405 not out in a county match
Michael Owen (due to far too many injuries) After he scored the goal against Argentina in the world cup, my Brazilian in laws all thought he would be one of the greatest players the world had seen and it never quite happened.
Dare I say Wayne Rooney. He has never quite played to what people have considered his potential could be despite some flashes of brilliance.

Top Bottom