SportTracks alternatives?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Now the devs have announced end of line for support of Sport Tracks 3 desktop version am looking for a half decent alternative as I don't fancy the subbed online version. I know I can keep using ST3 for now, but it's only a matter of time before some third party changes some API and it just breaks.

TBH the thing I most want is the records feature, being able to look at various comparisons between rides, between years...listing distance records of rides etc Essentially being able to look back at my cycling history in different, interesting ways. Basic stuff really but perhaps quite niche. The training aspect of ST3 I can do without.

Thanks Im having a look but in setup its asking me for W' (J), Pmax (W) and W'bal Tau (s) figures, none of which I have a clue about, plus I don't have a power meter so...?
It gives you lots of stats in a desk top app but yes to get the best out of it a power meter is best and although folk rave about it I find there's little too many stats. For simple analysis of rides, eg distance, speed, hr and filtering by date the online GarminConnect is far simpler.

dodgy

Long time SportTracks user here, bought (well, sponsored) it in 2006 and was pretty annoyed when they pulled support and almost effectively killed the product. I'm now using MyTourBook which is open source and enthusiastically supported. There are plugins also. The thing I miss most from SportTracks is being able to easily track mileage of any piece of equipment, MTB doesn't do that yet, but it's a requested feature.
You can export all your SportTracks data and import into MTB with relative ease. I have 14 years of data pulled into it.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Long time SportTracks user here, bought (well, sponsored) it in 2006 and was pretty annoyed when they pulled support and almost effectively killed the product. I'm now using MyTourBook which is open source and enthusiastically supported. There are plugins also. The thing I miss most from SportTracks is being able to easily track mileage of any piece of equipment, MTB doesn't do that yet, but it's a requested feature.
You can export all your SportTracks data and import into MTB with relative ease. I have 14 years of data pulled into it.

I'll give that a look too, cheers.

Yeah very annoying about ST3 being finished off, but it's been dying a slow death for a few years now.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Also a long time ST user and moved across to Strava, but never been entirely happy with that. As a cyclist and runner, I'd like to be able to maintain logs of both activities. Can MTB help here?

This thread nudged me to take a look for alternatives and I came across Turtle Sport. Anyone any experience with that?

Thanks.

dodgy

MTB is a much geekier product, easy to get it going, though, but you can lose days in messing with it. If that's your thing.

dodgy

Also a long time ST user and moved across to Strava, but never been entirely happy with that. As a cyclist and runner, I'd like to be able to maintain logs of both activities. Can MTB help here?

This thread nudged me to take a look for alternatives and I came across Turtle Sport. Anyone any experience with that?

Thanks.
MTB is mainly geared (baddum tish) for cyclists. I haven't tried Turtle Sport, first I've heard of it! Will take a look.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes

Thanks.

Not heard of it but will have a look at it too.

dodgy

BTW, there was one guy on the old sporttracks forums (now closed) who said he was going to take ZoneFiveSoftware to court. Not sure what happened there. An admin of ZoneFive was on record as saying something like "once you pay for ST, it's a lifetime perpetual license" or words to that effect. Removing support is one thing, but they also threatened to disable the software somehow.

Fred30

The thing I miss most from SportTracks is being able to easily track mileage of any piece of equipment, MTB doesn't do that yet, but it's a requested feature.

MyTourbook already offers a way to easily track mileage for any gear/equipment and it is done by using "tags"
For example :
You buy a new pair of shoes and create a tag for it that will be associated to specific activities.
Once you want to know how many miles you have used them for, you can apply a filter that will display the time/mileage...etc used on those shoes.
Some people have discussed it here.

Otherwise, to try to answer the original post questions, did you check out other PC apps such as Pytrainer, Runner’s studio, turtlesports, Goldencheetah…. there is choice!

Personnally, after much research and trials of the above ones, I have adopted MyTourbook and I find that it's the best alternative to ST and is VERY actively being developed.

Top Bottom