'Spose I should confess really

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
1) I'm Fat

2) I drive a 2+tonne 4X4 with a suspension lift and mud tyres so it sits higher than a standard 4X4 and uses more fuel.

3) I have a valid HGV license and drove them for 5 Years.

4) I commute by car more often than cycle.

Just thought I should own up as these facts seem to put me in the most hated pigeon holes on here :biggrin:

You've probably got about three minutes start.

Pete

Panter said:
1) I'm Fat
Snap.

2) I drive a 2+tonne 4X4 with a suspension lift and mud tyres so it sits higher than a standard 4X4 and uses more fuel.
Haven't got an answer to that. But if you change your car, the environmental cost of manufacturing the new car and disposing of the old one, will for several years probably outweigh any savings in switching to a more efficient car.

3) I have a valid HGV license and drove them for 5 Years.
Well, someone's got to drive the truck, otherwise there'd be no food on the shelves, no clothes on our backs, etc. etc. The point is, assuming you drove the trucks responsibly and considerately, watching out for cyclists at all times....

So did I, when my commute distance was over 10 miles. It's only now, because I only have a 2-mile commute, that I'm able to say truthfully that it's more bike than car...

So don't beat yourself up! Many of us are the same, I'm sure!

Danny

Legendary Member
Now that you have confessed it is penance time.

Get rid of the 4x4, and replace it with a fuel efficient car. At least you won't be damaging the environment so much when you drive to work.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Patrick Stevens said:
Have you got any interesting views on gays, blacks, gypsies, asylum seekers, climate change etc. that you'd like to share with us.:smile: Might as well be hanged for a sheep.:ohmy:

as is common in rural wales :tongue:

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Patrick Stevens said:
You've probably got about three minutes start.

Thats very kind, but what could I do with it, being fat? i suppose if I start waddling away now............

walker said:
do you have a beer gut and smoke cigars blowing the smoke at Fiesta drivers?

Beer gut? absolutely :thumbsup: gave up smoking 18 months ago though, sorry.

Patrick Stevens said:
Have you got any interesting views on gays, blacks, gypsies, asylum seekers, climate change etc. that you'd like to share with us.:smile: Might as well be hanged for a sheep.:tongue:

Oh yes :thumbsup: <keeps quiet and looks around shiftily>

Well, I thought I'd be banned by now, but seeing as I'm not :tongue:

In my defence:

1) I'm Fat
Hmmmm, working hard on this one, no excuses though. My thyroid is "normal" as far as I know, my metabolism I would guess is fine, I even eat healthily. I just eat too much food.

I run this on 50% veg oil/diesel mixture which reduces the environmental impact slightly.
I'm also in the process of buying an old motorbike which is a lot more traffic and environment friendly as a commuter tool.
As for pedestrian safety, I'd rather not get involved in that arguement. I prefer to avoid the scenario of 'peds bouncing off the front by driving appropriately slowly where there is risk (much to the annoyance of those following behind, but tough.)

My commute is a 34 mile round trip, which in itself isn't too bad but a lot of it is down a national speed limit dual carrigeway, one section of which the narrow flanking lane stops on just as it hits the steep, fast descent where lots of motorists have died over the Years so I don't attempt it if its raining or icey as I feel its just too risky.

Anyway, sorry for my crimes, just wanted to clear the air :biggrin:
Thanks for the support Pete :ohmy:

frog

The lads on Soapbox want to know if we can keep him talking - the tar won't be ready for another ten minutes . . :smile:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I wouldn't worry Panter, we've probably all got something to be ashamed of. In fact, I myself, put a plastic bottle in a dustbin instead of the recycling carton!:smile::blush:

You need to change your location then.

I is a hairy arsed fat bloke with a 4x4 who doesn't cycle much :tongue:

1. Used to be fat for a bit, now thinnish getting thinner
2. Own two 4x4's
3. Used to commute 30,000 miles a year by car - currently don't
4. Used to recycle, couldn't be arsed since it got trendy :smile:

Will that tar go round two people then?

frog

Will that tar go round two people then?

Bugger! Anyone know how to work out the surface area of a sphere?

Make that two

Looks like one of you'll have to settle for some blackboard paint :smile:

But they can warm it up if you're not in a hurry . . .:tongue:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
frog said:
Bugger! Anyone know how to work out the surface area of a sphere?

Make that two

Looks like one of you'll have to settle for some blackboard paint :sad:

But they can warm it up if you're not in a hurry . . .:biggrin:

4*pi*R^2

:biggrin:

Top Bottom