Spot the herecy...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
E

Euan Uzami

;) you do!:blush: without them the build up of dust is likely to weigh more than the dustcap, *obviously*! don't you know anything;) so any weight conscious racer knows they make sense

kind of? But as every "racer" knows when you get your new wheels you swoop the rim tape for xxx light stuff and swoop out the tube for a xxx light ones. Then you redo all the greese in the hub and when you have done all that you get some fishing weights up to the same weight as the valve to counter it and fit them to the spoke on the over side.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
spandex said:
..... that you get some fishing weights up to the same weight as the valve to counter it and fit them to the spoke on the over side.
Sir sir, me sir! Hands up hands up!

The rim will not necessarily be put out of balance by the valve alone. If the rim has been welded (ridiculous I know - who's not using carbon, right?) then the weld may be responsible for some imbalance.

Do I get a star?

Bollo said:

The rim will not necessarily be put out of balance by the valve alone. If the rim has been welded (ridiculous I know - who's not using carbon, right?) then the weld may be responsible for some imbalance.

Do I get a star?

You can if you can tell me the over way of joining rims.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
spandex said:
You can if you can tell me the over way of joining rims.
If you think I'm typing 'rim' into google on the work laptop in a feeble attempt to kid you that I know what I'm talking about, you can whistle.

E

Euan Uzami

spandex said:
kind of? But as every "racer" knows when you get your new wheels you swoop the rim tape for xxx light stuff and swoop out the tube for a xxx light ones. Then you redo all the greese in the hub and when you have done all that you get some fishing weights up to the same weight as the valve to counter it and fit them to the spoke on the over side.

Bollo said:

Do I get a star?
wheel out of balance? never heard anythin' so ridiculous in all my life.

surely if you're a racer then you have to comply with the uci weight limit (of 6.8kg or something is it?), and if they really do bother about the wheel being 'out of balance' (which if it wouldn't be terribly rude to suggest,i think you're pulling my leg) then surely you could also 'balance' the dust cap ?

dust caps. they've forgot them lets face it :laugh::smile:

Bollo said:
If you think I'm typing 'rim' into google on the work laptop in a feeble attempt to kid you that I know what I'm talking about, you can whistle.

:rolleyes: It is cool I was just seeing how much you in the know! Sorry

Euan Uzami said:
wheel out of balance? never heard anythin' so ridiculous in all my life.

surely if you're a racer then you have to comply with the uci weight limit (of 6.8kg or something is it?), and if they really do bother about the wheel being 'out of balance' (which if it wouldn't be terribly rude to suggest,i think you're pulling my leg) then surely you could also 'balance' the dust cap ?

dust caps. they've forgot them lets face it :rolleyes::biggrin:

Well all the pro riders have there wheels balanced. As for pulling your leg no I am not I know some Nutters People that go out and race and when they get back home they clean there bikes, check it over then let out 80% of the air in the tyres and hang it up till next time!!!

Euan Uzami said:

Yep that is the one

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
spandex said:
:evil: It is cool I was just seeing how much you in the know! Sorry

No worries, I'm strictly an amateur and I know it.

Funnily enough, the wheel thing is something I've discovered first hand - I'm a fat bastard bigger stronger rider and can usually get most reasonable <24 spoke rear wheels to rub the brake blocks when out of the saddle. I was looking at getting some hand built jobs, but someone put me on to some Easton Orions (originally velomax's before they were taken over by Easton) that were being flogged off cheap to make way for the new range. Strength-wise, they have proved the business but I noticed they were pretty unbalanced when you've got the bike in the workstand. The heaviest section was opposite the valve - enough for the wheel to rotate back to equilibrium. I've never noticed any effect on the ride though, so being a fat bastard bigger, stronger rider, I'm not that bothered.

I have been told that hi end wheels do not like being unbalanced and do not last as long.

I do not know this my self it is some thing I have been told by some one that dose not think twice at going out racing with his mates on a 120mile ride and he dose it 3 times a week:ohmy: That is on top of the club rides and Squash

:evil:

Dave5N

Über Member
Well now, I have two pairs of this season's Pearl Izumi team wheels in my attic and they are standard issue.

Sounds to me more like the sort of thing an obsessive tester might waste time on.

Top Bottom