Spot the noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlenBen

Über Member
Hi guys,

Heres another find my noise kind of thread.

Ive got a sound, like a spoke being plucked, coming from my rear wheel area (I think) and I cant seem to find what it could be.

Any suggestions?

I would be eternally grateful.
Thanks

Tim Hall

How often does it happen? Once per wheel revolution? Once per pedal revolution? Other? Is it restricted to a particular gear? Does it happen when you freewheel? Does it only happen when pedaling really hard?

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
Difficult to say, its certainly louder when pushing hard, louder still when out of the saddle and louder over rough ground.

But not limited to those, it sounds like a little double ping every wheel revolution, only quietly, unless its the above.

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
No, about 8 months old, looks straight, between the brake blocks, I havent had it on a truing stand or anything. No obvious damage, no spokes seem looser than others.

davidphilips

Veteran
if no access to bike stand, turn bike upside down and turn peddles/crank listen and watch closely could even be a tight chain link or mudguard to close to wheel (if fitted) check bolts for wheels in derailleur are tight good luck.

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
Thanks guys, a fair bit to look at here. Im about the spend the afternoon in the shed with a brew...Ill update you later.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I have had a similar problem with a very old rear wheel. I have given up looking for a cause, but have consigned the wheel to my "emergency bike" that I only ride to the shops and back, when my others are out of commission. I would love to know if you find a cure.

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
Thabks for all the replies guys, very helpful.

Ive done everything that has been suggested (that applies) and am about to head out for a ride.

Top Bottom