Spotted for sale elsewhere: Vintage / Classic bikes, framesets and components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very nice fully restored Freddie Grubb frame 20.5". Expensive but rather lovely;

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/classic-vintage-leroica-1963-freddie-grubb-road-frame/1330585522

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
That's a lot of dosh for a bare frame! OK, it's nice condition, but you can't just ride it like that. Given the current old steel market, I can't see it selling, especially in such a small size. It makes me wonder if all the high priced stuff actually sells, or sits around unsold forever, like overpriced houses. When I acquired my Dawes Jaguar a few months ago, the bloke I got it from said I was the only person to show any interest, and that was only £40 for a 531 bike! Recently I was gifted a steel light roadster free gratis; same story, no-one else interested just because it had a few things needing attention! Very strange....

Last edited:

nonowt

Über Member
I think those Grubbs are both Holdsworth era, so pretty low-end despite their obvious charm.

Here's a really nice Grubb made Grubb - expensive in the current market conditions but also a bargain in many ways.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's true, the price rather made me blanche but presumably through seller thought he could achieve that figure so must have based it something.

They probably went on the old purchase price + restoration costs + selling fees + a bit of profit method, which is how some naïve sellers think the world should work, but doesn't in reality.
Unfortunately, just as in the case of vintage cars, the cost of buying a shabby project and refurbishing it to a high standard, will almost always exceed the market value of the same thing unrestored or previously restored in excellent condition.

woodbutcher

Veteran
So steel may be real but its not reflected in the value attached to them.....is that the verdict ?
I have been wondering about offering this one for sale since its over a year since l rode it ! However l can't just give it away, might as well leave it hanging in the rack :smile:
2017-06-25 13.33.08.jpg

Lovely!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
So steel may be real but its not reflected in the value attached to them.....is that the verdict ?
I have been wondering about offering this one for sale since its over a year since l rode it ! However l can't just give it away, might as well leave it hanging in the rack :smile:

Depends if you bought it high or low, like any asset. If you buy low and sell low, you aren't actually losing anything.
If you bought high, and the current market is low, then for me the decision would depend on why I was thinking of selling and what I intended to do with the money raised. If you don't need the money, then it makes no sense to crystallise a loss on selling an asset - unless you intend to use the proceeds to buy a different asset which is currently also cheaply priced..
So, taking a loss on the sale of a steel bike would be rational if you were going to use the money to buy a different steel bike that was offered for sale at a similarly depressed price, but irrational if you were just going to stick the money in the bank and earn bugger all interest on it.. Ultimately it comes down to how much stuff spending a given amount of cash will get you.

Why sell it ? If the prices being obtained at the moment are low and it would mean that you would lose out on what you have spent on it then you might as well keep it . It's often the case that it would be worth more broken up and sold as individual parts. This goes against what a lot of people think and seems to perpetuate the trade in people trying to source parts to build their frame back up again . :wacko:

If prices are low it would seem like an ideal time to buy some more instead !

Top Bottom