Spotted for sale elsewhere: Vintage / Classic bikes, framesets and components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Birmingham £50
(Maybe a bit too small?)

Birmingham £50
View attachment 487715
That's really nice :wub: Could (almost) be me-sized, that looks like a 15 inch frame...

Looks about 19 1/2" to me, on 26" x 1 3/8" wheels. I think it's a basic gas pipe single speed roadster that someone has repainted and used as a commuting hack. Very much doubt the frame is anything special, the lugwork is too plain to be a lightweight, IMHO. The name on the frame may relate to the owner not the builder, and be an anti-theft measure. I'd go for a 3-speed SA hub gear every time on this sort of bike, as a Sturmey is just as durable but much more versatile than a SS.

Good morning,

Bit of a bargain in Sheffield for a Raleigh 531 bike but only if you fancy a fight with a seat post ;
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/vintage-road-bike/1354726825

What do you make of the 531 sticker in the fourth photo? :-)

It almost looks like someone has made a poor copy of part of the 531 Professional design and stuck it over a 501 (there was 501 tubes forks and stays) or similar sticker.

Maybe it was a repair to a genuine 531 Pro sticker?

For example the 3 runs over the N in Reynolds and there is very little space between the Professional red background and the top of Fork Blades.

Bye

Ian

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Good morning,

What do you make of the 531 sticker in the fourth photo? :-)

It almost looks like someone has made a poor copy of part of the 531 Professional design and stuck it over a 501 (there was 501 tubes forks and stays) or similar sticker.

Maybe it was a repair to a genuine 531 Pro sticker?

For example the 3 runs over the N in Reynolds and there is very little space between the Professional red background and the top of Fork Blades.

Bye

Ian
The only thing I would say is that the figures 531 look a little closer together than these, but those on the bike will/should be original and not reproductions.
1570531425494.png

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Reynolds stickers did change in design over time. I don't know why someone would make a poor version when correct ones are readily available.

A quite nice Peugeot for £80 in North Notts.

View: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/227682648146016/

I'm hoping for some advice from them as knows what's what !
This is my TVT hr , it is too big for me and although l occasionally ride it , most of the time it hangs up in my workshop which is a bit of a crime . I cannot find another one for sale anywhere to get a rough idea of values so any ideas, anybody ?
View attachment 488582

A quick flick on le bon coin shows a range of prices from €80 for a frame up to €600 but with very variable quality. (it also has a couple of HMs in the Alps so a bit far for you to go) Ebay completed sales also shows prices all over the place.

I would say aim for something around €350-€400 and see how it goes. (if I recall correctly, this would mean that you will not be put of pocket :smile:)

davidphilips

Veteran
Second hand bike prices are very unpredictable, even when i see bikes selling on Ebay for say £500 (thinking about one i sold last week) then i advertise one and am lucky to get a third of it (£140 in my case)? So my advice would be advertise it for what you think its worth and you would be happy to accept, if it does not sell just keep reducing the price until it does sell. There are many cyclists who can make money selling bikes but to me it seems like wheel building, a skill i just dont have and may seem easy to some but to me its just trying to solve a rubix cube with dark glasses on.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Second hand bike prices are very unpredictable, even when i see bikes selling on Ebay for say £500 (thinking about one i sold last week) then i advertise one and am lucky to get a third of it (£140 in my case)? So my advice would be advertise it for what you think its worth and you would be happy to accept, if it does not sell just keep reducing the price until it does sell. There are many cyclists who can make money selling bikes but to me it seems like wheel building, a skill i just dont have and may seem easy to some but to me its just trying to solve a rubix cube with dark glasses on.
I sympathise with your problem ! l'm not desperate to sell , it just seems a shame that the bike hardly ever gets used but having said that l would rather keep it than give it away !

Top Bottom