Spotted for sale elsewhere: Vintage / Classic bikes, framesets and components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Damn! No point me messaging you with my address then... :whistle:
I'll lend it to you if you like :bicycle:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Second hand bike prices are very unpredictable, even when i see bikes selling on Ebay for say £500 (thinking about one i sold last week) then i advertise one and am lucky to get a third of it (£140 in my case)?...…….l. There are many cyclists who can make money selling bikes but to me it seems like wheel building, a skill i just dont have and may seem easy to some but to me its just trying to solve a rubix cube with dark glasses on.

Ebay listing prices and what sales complete at, are often two different things. Any joker can keep listing something at an outrageous price, in the hope that some mug will bite - but the only ones that count are the ones that actually sell. Even then, the sale may fall through, because sometimes items that have sold will reappear again shortly afterwards.
I bought a Raleigh that I am sure had been "sold" at least twice previously. The first time I watched, it went for £33. Then the exact same bike got listed again about a month later, selling for £24. A week later it reappeared yet again (same seller ID) and I won it at the start price. Turned out to be a good bike, which made the previous failed sales odd. If it had been a misdescribed heap of junk, I could understand a buyer walking away but that wasn't the case. I can only assume there are a lot of tyre kickers who have no intention of buying, or they don't read the description relating to frame size etc. or maybe they bid on two or three very similar items simultaneously then just pick their favourite if they win more than one auction!

i think there are far more cyclists who lose a lot of money selling bikes, than there are ones who make a profit. Bikes are often bought on a whim without much thought, and prove to be uncomfortable, impractical etc - then get put aside before later being sold at a large loss. Cycling is one of those things which can be very cheap to do, but a lot of people clearly manage to lose a lot of money on their bikes for every mile they have ridden it!

You read my mind , l have dropped the seat post one centimetre , fitted a shorter reach stem and different bars, not so wide or with such a deep drop. Feels like a different bike ,can't wait for the opportunity to take it for a real test ride^_^
The long stem might have been perfect for the previous owner. It just needs perfecting for you .

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Lovely old Raleigh Amazon ( no not that Amazon) for just fifty notes in Sheffield, looks tidy

Proper lugged steel frame too, which is not that common on MTBs. Those paint jobs were all the rage BITD, and that does look the part. Be warned though, if it has the same geometry as my 501 framed '91 Highlander (and I think it has), the Top Tube is 23 1/4" between centres - so any potential rider will need to have long limbs even though it's only a 21" size seat tube. It's really an XL 23" model, just with a sloping TT, and they still feel "big" even though the standover height isn't huge.

davidphilips

Veteran

Attachments

• Chrysanthemum.jpg
    Chrysanthemum.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 4

davidphilips

Veteran
Looks a very cheap project in Belfast for £45, pity it was not a smaller frame or i know it would be sold already.https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/classic-vintage-ellis-briggs-racing-road-city-bike-bicycle-/1358082006 Quick update seen on facebook market place for £35 so seller may take a very low offer?

Attachments

• $_86.png
    $_86.png
    192.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Top Bottom