Spotted for sale elsewhere: Vintage / Classic bikes, framesets and components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Splendid, they are a rare thing, let us know how rides,

Now, if you want the full set, a KG233 in Toulouse:okay: although I think he wants a bit too much.

https://www.leboncoin.fr/velos/1716408687.htm/
Bloody hell, l was in Toulouse yesterday. I agree the asking price is steep. I will watch with interest !

woodbutcher

Veteran
That's nice
I just got back an hour ago from collecting the Look from Brive and what do l see ? Another one also up north ....l could have kept going ^_^
Anyhow the bike l just picked up has a Columbus Nemo frame , Look carbon forks, seat post, bars and stem. 9spd. campagnolo centaur shifters and brake callipers . Campagnolo mirage derailleurs and Campag. triple crank.
Not sure if l like all that carbon (especially the aero bars) but its early days and l am pooped from driving on the peage in the rain. Its a tough life but someone has to give all these bikes a good home !!

78616624_10215701143537169_1077995473710612480_n.jpg

I probably ought not to be casually browsing bikes for sale at the moment since l'm currently up to my budget, but this caught my eye , fortunately it's too big for me but it is for sale at the princely sum of €30.
View attachment 496090
I need something like this (preferably not so nice) to use as a donor for the mixte, which needs alloy wheels with with a 120mm rear OLN. Change the chainset to a doubel would be nice too...

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

woodbutcher

Veteran
:stop:You should save up and get this instead

https://www.leboncoin.fr/velos/1727555442.htm/

In fact, if it fits, sell whatever you have to and buy it, You will not regret it. I love my MX leader to bits and if I could only save one bike in case of a fire it would be this...and the Gios of course ^_^
I will drop the seller a line to find out the size ....it looks just a bit big for me :whistle: And what's going on with Toulouse ? Every bike l see and like is in Toulouse !!

woodbutcher

Veteran
I will drop the seller a line to find out the size ....it looks just a bit big for me :whistle: And what's going on with Toulouse ? Every bike l see and like is in Toulouse !!
Whats the story with Merckx bike frames , who made them ....or were there several builders ?
To be honest l have never considered trying to get hold of one simply because they are always pricy but this one seems a fair price .

Whats the story with Merckx bike frames , who made them ....or were there several builders ?
To be honest l have never considered trying to get hold of one simply because they are always pricy but this one seems a fair price .

Merckx founded his bile company in 1980. It was based just outside Brussels and the steel frames were all built on site by a tream of frame-builders. Merckx himself was very hands on in terms of frame design, choice of tubing etc. For example, the MXL tubeset was based on Columbus Max but made to Merckx’s specifications. The result is that Merckx bikes have a reputation for being very good to ruse. This along with the Merckx name means they sell at a premium.

Now the bikes that Merckx raced is a whole different story:rolleyes: Too simplify his earlier bikes were Belgian made, Kessels and Terryn (built by a number of individual builders) and then Italian Colnago and DE Rosa. To add to the confusion bikes from one team we’re tesprayed and used later, for example Molteni bikes from various makers resprayed for the Fiat team .

woodbutcher

Veteran
Merckx founded his bile company in 1980. It was based just outside Brussels and the steel frames were all built on site by a tream of frame-builders. Merckx himself was very hands on in terms of frame design, choice of tubing etc. For example, the MXL tubeset was based on Columbus Max but made to Merckx’s specifications. The result is that Merckx bikes have a reputation for being very good to ruse. This along with the Merckx name means they sell at a premium.

Now the bikes that Merckx raced is a whole different story:rolleyes: Too simplify his earlier bikes were Belgian made, Kessels and Terryn (built by a number of individual builders) and then Italian Colnago and DE Rosa. To add to the confusion bikes from one team we’re tesprayed and used later, for example Molteni bikes from various makers resprayed for the Fiat team .
Wow that is quite a story, l was so engrossed that l very nearly burnt the fish curry l am cooking ^_^.
So long story short, the bike in Toulouse is a 1980's high end road bike for the general (if discerning) user, not an out and out race bike ? Although as Mr Biggs has pointed out it does have a race number hanger !

Wow that is quite a story, l was so engrossed that l very nearly burnt the fish curry l am cooking ^_^.
So long story short, the bike in Toulouse is a 1980's high end road bike for the general (if discerning) user, not an out and out race bike ? Although as Mr Biggs has pointed out it does have a race number hanger !

Certainly high end and they were raced: Motorola, T Mobile and GAN all used them in the early 1990s. There were probably a couple of other teams as well.

Top Bottom