Spotted for sale elsewhere: Vintage / Classic bikes, framesets and components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
If you think that is close what about this

View attachment 505547

Just pull your finger out and buy it
He-he, this must be a first....boasting about how small mine is
IMG_1385.jpg

I will give the Reynolds serious thought .....not my strong point though ^_^
If you think that is close what about this

View attachment 505547

Just pull your finger out and buy it

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
This is a new one on me ...Reynolds 753 ? bike looks pretty good , does anyone have a view/or info on these frames.?

Reynolds 753 was a heat treated mang-moly alloy, effectively 531 on steroids. Somewhat exotic in it's time and very rare. It is extremely strong for it's weight, even more so than 531, and can be drawn into thinner gauges. A 753 frame, all things being equal, will be a little bit lighter and a little bit more flexible, than an equivalent frame of 531. The downsides were that in the quest for reduced weight, the frames became more susceptible to corrosion weakening, and less tolerant of rough use. I'd say they are best suited to the smaller/lighter rider who isn't going to punish them so much.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Thanks for that info. Can't say l know anything about the De Santi marque but l guess they thought it worth investing in 753 back in the day . The bike l posted the pic of looks in reasonable condition except that l just noticed the gunged up chain on the photo of the Reynolds decal, and it is not even on the equally grotty chainring.
If were to buy it l wouldn't be worried about over stressing the frame because l am 1.70 m and weigh 56kg....sort of human pipe-cleaner :whistle:.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Even though white is my least favourite colour for bikes (and cars!), that is still nice. I presume it's built from Columbus rather than "our stuff"? When you start to look closely at high quality lugged steel era frames, you really appreciate the subtle details like the brake bridges with the little reinforcing flanges each end. Modern TIG welded mass-produced stuff looks really crude in comparison to even some modest lugged frames.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Even though white is my least favourite colour for bikes (and cars!), that is still nice. I presume it's built from Columbus rather than "our stuff"? When you start to look closely at high quality lugged steel era frames, you really appreciate the subtle details like the brake bridges with the little reinforcing flanges each end. Modern TIG welded mass-produced stuff looks really crude in comparison to even some modest lugged frames.
Completely agree, I love a quality lugged steel frame.
The rear derailleur looks like a Simplex SX610 but badged as Gipiemme, I didn’t know that was a thing?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'll bow to your superior knowledge as to the exact provenance of the rear mech, but even I can tell just from looking at the way that it was made that it's a high quality component. The whole bike was clearly built up to a standard, not down to a (low) price.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I'll bow to your superior knowledge as to the exact provenance of the rear mech, but even I can tell just from looking at the way that it was made that it's a high quality component. The whole bike was clearly built up to a standard, not down to a (low) price.
Simplex for sure. The 'S' in a sprocket logo is a bit of a give away I think. I don't think its supposed to be a $ sign.

I don't know if they did different versions of this bike but it looks like this one:
https://www.vintagevelo.co.uk/shop/vintage-bikes/moser-crono-sprint/
Except this one has Campag mechs.

Beautiful bike.

@Spiderweb, yes it was a thing . Simplex supplies mechs to a number of component manufacturers to put their name in, Gipiemme was one Edco another. The gipiemme version with rainbow bands label attracts a premium, although I don’t think it improves the shifting:rolleyes:.

Interestingly, okay not that interestingly, Edco later badged up Sachs New Success mechs, as did Regina (of freewheel fame)

All uphill

Still rolling along
Large (24"?) Argos Racing Cycle singlespeed steel frame, fork and headset in a lovely pearlescent white in my local community bike project in Taunton.
£150.

I didnt have my phone on me so no picture, I'm afraid.

Top Bottom