Spotted for sale elsewhere: Vintage / Classic bikes, framesets and components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Joe blow pump £15 pick up in Liverpool.Seems a great deal for any one living close? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Topeak-joe-blow-pump/264806270169?hash=item3da7af04d9:g:groAAOSwPmhfGp8h

JPBoothy

Veteran
I have been doggedly chasing a Colnago World Cup on Gumtree for over a week but cannot get a reply. It is advertised for £100 as a 'Project re-build or for parts' but only appears to be missing a front wheel, chain and pedals! It is about a 5hr drive from where I live (St Leonards?) but for that price I would be prepared to fork out on a courier.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I have been doggedly chasing a Colnago World Cup on Gumtree for over a week but cannot get a reply. It is advertised for £100 as a 'Project re-build or for parts' but only appears to be missing a front wheel, chain and pedals! It is about a 5hr drive from where I live (St Leonards?) but for that price I would be prepared to fork out on a courier.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Sorry, I just noticed the 'Vintage/Classic' in the thread title so a Colnago World Cup CX bike may not fit the bill really. Certainly a classic 'ride' in my eyes but not in terms of age I suppose so forgive me if I've blundered in and gone off piste slightly :blush:

Venod

Eh up
Any tall classic riders, this is on Facebook Yorkshire Cycle sales. 25" 1985 Woodrup 531, £350, I think Brough is the location, I think the steps are to get on it,

117300683_10223783161031609_5753947478455789643_o.jpg

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Huge bikes/frames can be very cheap. I bought a freshly refurbished 24 1/2" frameset for £75 last year (for a 6' 3" rider). The irony is that today's younger riders, being the tallest generation ever, are far more likely to fit such frames but wouldn't be seen dead on one.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Spotted this 25" Dawes Discovery on FB marketplace for £85 in Spalding - not familiar with the model but it looks like a really nice, useable, well-looked after example in a lovely colour for seemingly not a lot of money. Good job for me it's too big and miles away or I might have added another to those already in the kitchen!

117817566_10160223990758378_4329710973020167668_o.jpg

Also noticed this cracking looking Raleigh Courier for £100 in Oxford - splendid vintage looks (the colour suits it so well) although I suspect it dates from the 80s..

83073851_10157957443224892_6940857534297269218_o.jpg

:smile:

wafter

Just spotted this vintage Pug road bike on Gumtree in Oxford for £250:

$_86.png

Looks like a reasonable-enough spec with some modernish components; looks like a 12sp (so mid-80s to mid-90s..?) converted to 16sp; since IIRC the 6, 7 and 8 speed setups all use the same 126mm axle spacing.

I nice looking bike but IMO one that's sat in a bit of a no man's land in terms of both spec and price. Too nice / pricey for a utility hack, not nice / original enough to justify as a collectable and a bit archaic to use as an alternative to a more modern road bike. Budget tourer perhaps..?

I guess with that 8 speed cassette fitted it's potentially only a pair of used shifters / new Claris items and a FD away from running STIs, which is a thought!

Gunk

Guru
Just spotted this vintage Pug road bike on Gumtree in Oxford for £250:

View attachment 541640

Looks like a reasonable-enough spec with some modernish components; looks like a 12sp (so mid-80s to mid-90s..?) converted to 16sp; since IIRC the 6, 7 and 8 speed setups all use the same 126mm axle spacing.

I nice looking bike but IMO one that's sat in a bit of a no man's land in terms of both spec and price. Too nice / pricey for a utility hack, not nice / original enough to justify as a collectable and a bit archaic to use as an alternative to a more modern road bike. Budget tourer perhaps..?

I guess with that 8 speed cassette fitted it's potentially only a pair of used shifters / new Claris items and a FD away from running STIs, which is a thought!

That’s about £150 too much. I was buying those for about £50 last year, in fact I bought a tatty carbolite version for a fiver.

wafter

That’s about £150 too much. I was buying those for about £50 last year, in fact I bought a tatty carbolite version for a fiver.
lol - crikey - shows how good my knowledge of vintage bikes is :tongue:

What do you reckon of the market currently? I think we're over the price hump and while some people are still asking "optimistic" money it seems the price of what's actually selling (certainly at the lower end of the market) is falling. Lots of seemingly serviceable old sub-ton bikes on FB marketplace..

Gunk

Guru
I’m currently on a break from restoration and trading activities as I’m now back at work full time, so I’m not really looking at used bikes, however I have been trying to buy a Brompton for Mrs Gunk and I recon the prices are at least 25% up on last year, so I’ll be patient and just wait for it all to settle down. My MTB was in at a dealer during the week to have a new rear calliper fitted and they seem to now have some more stock (although still limited) so this will start to have an impact on used prices, I recon it’ll be at least 6-9 months before we see used prices start to return to normal.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I've had my last 4 or 5 bikes from Ebay/Gumtree and if 'like you have said' you are patient there are some nice bikes to be had. You also need to be prepared to travel for them too. I did a 150ml round trip to Leeds on Wednesday but worth it in my opinion. You know when you are onto a good one (or possibly a stolen one) when the description just says 'Mens Racer Bike for sale' :okay:

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I've had my last 4 or 5 bikes from Ebay/Gumtree and if 'like you have said' you are patient there are some nice bikes to be had. You also need to be prepared to travel for them too. I did a 150ml round trip to Leeds on Wednesday but worth it in my opinion. You know when you are onto a good one (or possibly a stolen one) when the description just says 'Mens Racer Bike for sale' :okay:
Agree about being prepared to travel. I bought my new road bike from a chap in Chester having chased a few on EBay, and the drive from York was my longest car journey since lockdown began.

Top Bottom