Spotted for sale elsewhere: Vintage / Classic bikes, framesets and components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Raleigh Superbe, Thatcham, £30, FB muppetplace

432110357_7167685163329691_4075655076805057127_n.jpg

Looks like a decent project pub bike; from my limited knowledge probably the '70s / 80s re-hash. Were it an earlier one with cable-pull brakes it'd probably be in my shed now; so probably just as well it's not!

simongt

Guru
Only trouble with bikes like the Superbe were the stirrup brakes, 'basic' blocks and steel rims. Always made stopping in wet conditions er., interesting - ! ^_^

wafter

Only trouble with bikes like the Superbe were the stirrup brakes, 'basic' blocks and steel rims. Always made stopping in wet conditions er., interesting - ! ^_^

Yes; as much as I like the period-correctness of the '80s resurrections, I'd rather have one of the legit earlier variants with caliper brakes.. you could presumably sneak some ally rims onto them for a performance hike :smile:

Big John

Guru
A couple of weeks ago spotted an 80 year old Baines road bike (not the Flying Gate) on our local gumtree for £20. Just missed it by an hour...someone else had spotted it before me.

Ad now withdrawn but this is very poor quality pic of the bike.

download.jpeg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A couple of weeks ago spotted an 80 year old Baines road bike (not the Flying Gate) on our local gumtree for £20. Just missed it by an hour...someone else had spotted it before me.

Ad now withdrawn but this is very poor quality pic of the bike.

View attachment 727407

Bargain

Late Raleigh Randonneur, Sheffield, £200:

View attachment 727401

No mudguards and evidently some wrongness occurring with the stem setup, but otherwise seems like a fairly sensibly priced example of the rarer Reynolds 708 varient with the bar end shifters... probably a good job it's too far away.

Why are these always out of distance

Late Raleigh Randonneur, Sheffield, £200:

View attachment 727401

No mudguards and evidently some wrongness occurring with the stem setup, but otherwise seems like a fairly sensibly priced example of the rarer Reynolds 708 varient with the bar end shifters... probably a good job it's too far away.

That was the same model as the one I sold a few years back for around that much, that I never should have sold. Great bike and still can't fathom out why I sold it.

wafter

That was the same model as the one I sold a few years back for around that much, that I never should have sold. Great bike and still can't fathom out why I sold it.

Yeah, they seem like cracking bikes but I've never ridden one.. although if the right one came up at the right price in the right place I'd struggle to say no.

While slightly intrigued by the 708 frame and preferring the bar-end shifters in use, if I indulged it'd probably be an earlier one as the paint job and 531ST fit nicely into the aged-tourer nostalgia..

Yeah, they seem like cracking bikes but I've never ridden one.. although if the right one came up at the right price in the right place I'd struggle to say no.

While slightly intrigued by the 708 frame and preferring the bar-end shifters in use, if I indulged it'd probably be an earlier one as the paint job and 531ST fit nicely into the aged-tourer nostalgia..

The bloke I sold it to used it to tour round Europe, but sadly had it stolen in Switzerland.

simongt

Guru
Whist spending a few days in Hawes, came across an early rather sad Dawes Galaxy hung up on the wall in a cycling themed caff. Would need a lot of TLC, but looked restorable. :okay:
Later on saw two Mk.2 Raleigh Choppers in 'original' condition in an antique shop. They were tagged at £980 each :eek:and I thought WOT - ?, until I checked EBay which has Choppers listed from £500 - £5000 depending on condition - !
Nuff said - ! :laugh:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Whist spending a few days in Hawes, came across an early rather sad Dawes Galaxy hung up on the wall in a cycling themed caff. Would need a lot of TLC, but looked restorable. :okay:
Later on saw two Mk.2 Raleigh Choppers in 'original' condition in an antique shop. They were tagged at £980 each :eek:and I thought WOT - ?, until I checked EBay which has Choppers listed from £500 - £5000 depending on condition - !
Nuff said - ! :laugh:

I know that antique shop, there was a Yellow Chopper in the window when I passed last year.

Top Bottom