SPOTYA 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is a valid complaint that the more popular sports are favoured over the ones that are less-well covered by TV. On the other hand, it is a lot easier* to get to the top of the tree on a minority sport, compared to a popular one. Hence SPOTYA is a lot fairer than you think. It just doesn't favour your sport.

I would agree. (I won't say any more specifically about Triathlon in case @Ajax Bay hunts me down. And boy, does he have stamina ...)

Of course it all falls apart when you start giving awards to racing drivers ...

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I would agree. (I won't say any more specifically about Triathlon in case @Ajax Bay hunts me down. And boy, does he have stamina ...)

Of course it all falls apart when you start giving awards to racing drivers ...

F1 is brutal on the body. Cornering forces are 3g - 5g, and are experienced several times a lap. If you have ever raced karts for a long period (say 1/2 hr) you will know how physically demanding this is, and you won't be pulling any more than 1g. 4 times the forces for up to 4 times the duration, whilst being in full concentration at the time is not for a normal person.

Ajax Bay

Guru
There is a valid complaint that the more popular sports are favoured over the ones that are less-well covered by TV. On the other hand, it is a lot easier* to get to the top of the tree on a minority sport, compared to a popular one. Hence SPOTYA is a lot fairer than you think. It just doesn't favour your sport.

*Not easy . . . Iron Man World Championships . . . group of people . . . sufficiently unhinged.
Well give the Scots credit (for a change):
https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/elite/beth-potter-named-scottish-sportswoman-of-year-2023
"The newly-crowned WTCS World Champion, Potter saw off cycling stars Katie Archibald and Neah Evans to lift the award."
Of course the Olympic distance (Potter won the test event in Paris in August and will likely be favourite for the individual gold on 31 July and very likely a relay medal too) has, for women, a winning time of a mere 110 minutes: no unhinging and minimal stamina required.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
There is a valid complaint that the more popular sports are favoured over the ones that are less-well covered by TV.
It’s worse than that, it’s very much weighted towards BBC sport.
Perfect example is Nick Matthew. Never got a look in at SPOTY.
If he played tennis he’d be a household name and multi millionaire.
But he played squash so no one’s heard of him, despite being world no 1 and a 3 time world champion.

Of course the Olympic distance (Potter won the test event in Paris in August and will likely be favourite for the individual gold on 31 July and very likely a relay medal too) has, for women, a winning time of a mere 110 minutes: no unhinging and minimal stamina required.
110 minutes?? I've seen Grands Prix take longer than that! Now there's a proper endurance sport ... :notworthy:

It’s worse than that, it’s very much weighted towards BBC sport.
Perfect example is Nick Matthew. Never got a look in at SPOTY.
If he played tennis he’d be a household name and multi millionaire.
But he played squash so no one’s heard of him, despite being world no 1 and a 3 time world champion.

But isn't the ticket revenue (and prize money) for the tennis majors much higher? [I have actually watched squash on the beeb in the past, as it happens, but it never really hooked me ... ]

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
But isn't the ticket revenue (and prize money) for the tennis majors much higher? [I have actually watched squash on the beeb in the past, as it happens, but it never really hooked me ... ]

I agree it’s a terrible TV sport.
But the point is that being world no 1 in a major sport can still render you completely anonymous.

Ajax Bay

Guru
. . . being world no 1 in a major sport can still render you completely anonymous.
Well I suggest that the award of an OBE (for sport) suggests you aren't "completely anonymous".
And maybe you meant "minor", btw. Unless you're talking about cricket (a major sport) - who could name a single member of the Oz team?
Nick Matthew has only 26k followers in insta (about half my daughter's btw in her 'minority' unhinged sport (front of pack)).
Lucy Charles Barclay has nearly half a million! And they'll all vote.

Well I suggest that the award of an OBE (for sport) suggests you aren't "completely anonymous".
And maybe you meant "minor", btw. Unless you're talking about cricket (a major sport) - who could name a single member of the Oz team?
Nick Matthew has only 26k followers in insta (about half my daughter's btw in her 'minority' unhinged sport (front of pack)).
Lucy Charles Barclay has nearly half a million! And they'll all vote.

Perhaps the BBC should hand over the broadcast to Instagram?

Top Bottom