SPOTYA 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Whilst 2023 was a tough year for Eilish McColgan, she would get my vote. Watch her story on the I Player if you get a chance, tough girl.

In February, the Dundonian set a new British record in the 5 km road race, clocking 14:48 in Dubai to break the mark of 14:51 set by Paula Radcliffe in 2003. McColgan bettered her mother's unofficial 14:57 from 1991, and was only four seconds short of a European record.[32] Later that month, she beat Radcliffe's 21-year-old British half marathon record by 21 seconds, in a time of one hour six minutes 26 seconds, improving her mother's best yet again (1:07:11).[33]

Eilish McColgan on her way to a new Scottish 10,000 m record at the 2022 FBK Games in Hengelo
In March, McColgan launched a non-profit organisation Giving Back to Track with her partner Michael Rimmer with the aim to encourage young people to get involved in athletics and to fund the next generation of female athletes.[34][35]

In May, she broke Radcliffe's European 10 km record at the Great Manchester Run in a time of 30 minutes 19 seconds, shaving two seconds off the previous marker set by Radcliffe in 2003. McColgan finished second behind only Hellen Obiri who set the course record of 30:15.[36] In June at the FBK Games in Hengelo, she set a new Scottish 10,000 m record of 30:19.02, beating the time set by her mother at the same venue in 1991.[37]

After experiencing some health problems before the World Championships in Eugene, Oregon in July, McColgan finished there 11th in the 5000 metres and 10th over the 10,000 metres.[3][38]

On 3 August, the 31-year-old claimed the first major title of her career as she won the gold medal in the 10,000 metres final at the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham. Her winning time of 30:48:60 was a new Games record, breaking her mother's 32-year mark. Thus, she completed the family hat-trick as her mother won over the same distance at Commonwealth Games Edinburgh 1986 and Auckland 1990.[39] McColgan later added silver in the 5000 metres, which marked Scotland's 500th overall medal at the Commonwealth Games.[40]

The Dundonian continued her outstanding season at about a week later securing two additional medals at the European Championships Munich 2022. First she won a silver in the 10,000 metres (behind Yasemin Can), and added bronze for the 5000 metres three days later (behind Konstanze Klosterhalfen and Can), becoming the first British distance runner to compete in six championships outdoor finals in the same season.[41][42][43]

In September, McColgan set a course record and the joint-fourth fastest women's half marathon in British history at the Big Half in London with a time of 67m 35s. She improved the previous best mark by more than two minutes.[44]

She had to withdraw from the 2022 London Marathon due to 'rebound hypoglycemia' refuelling problems.[45] McColgan apparently improved by a second her own European 10 kilometres record, which she set earlier that year in Manchester, when winning at the Great Scottish Run in Glasgow in October.[46][47] However, the record set in Glasgow was invalidated when it was found that the course was 150 m short.[48] In November, she set a new British record in the 15 kilometres with her fourth-place finish in a time of 47:40 at the Zevenheuvelenloop in Netherlands, breaking her mother's official record of 47:43.[49]

On 4 March, after five weeks of altitude training in Colorado, McColgan broke Radcliffe's 21-year British 10,000 m record by 0.23 s with a time of 30:00.86 at the Sound Running The TEN in San Juan Capistrano, California. In Europe only Sifan Hassan had run faster.[50][51] On 2 April, the Scotswoman chopped 43 seconds from her British half marathon record set 14 months earlier, clocking the second-fastest female non-African mark in history of 1:05:43 for a win at the Berlin Half Marathon. She became the first British woman to win the competition.[52] Later that month, she again missed her debut over the classic distance in London Marathon due to a knee injury.[53]

Ajax Bay

Guru
2023 was a tough year for Eilish McColgan
The last finisher beats all the DNSs. Has to win (or close) in the year's main championships. Great times only get you part way - they give you confidence to back yourself all the way round 24 laps: and fight on the last one.

Eilish McColgan missed the London Marathon in April (same as she did in 2022 for a different injury reason, but also note only 21 days after doing her record half in Berlin - is that a sensible schedule?). She has not competed since April and said after resuming training in May that winning gold in Hungary was a "pipe dream". Which regrettably was not fulfilled: she pulled out of the World Athletics Championships in Budapest (late August) after failing to recover from a knee injury.
"With the Olympics just around the corner, the stakes are too high." I wish her all the best, but no point in loadsa training if she keeps getting injured.
If you're not robust (tough) enough, is the marathon the way to go?

Slick

Guru
The last finisher beats all the DNSs. Has to win (or close) in the year's main championships. Great times only get you part way - they give you confidence to back yourself all the way round 24 laps: and fight on the last one.

Eilish McColgan missed the London Marathon in April (same as she did in 2022 for a different injury reason, but also note only 21 days after doing her record half in Berlin - is that a sensible schedule?). She has not competed since April and said after resuming training in May that winning gold in Hungary was a "pipe dream". Which regrettably was not fulfilled: she pulled out of the World Athletics Championships in Budapest (late August) after failing to recover from a knee injury.
"With the Olympics just around the corner, the stakes are too high." I wish her all the best, but no point in loadsa training if she keeps getting injured.
If you're not robust (tough) enough, is the marathon the way to go?

Watch the I Player, you'll get a much clearer picture of just how tough she is and what she went through to do what she has done. Her time may be coming to an end, I don't know, but I reckon she hasn't really recieved half the credit for what she has already achieved.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
What an underwhelming list?
KJT for me, but not a great year.
I will not be watching.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/67623729

It has, hasn't it. Not as bad as the year Zara Phillips won it, but not like those years when major achievers weren't even on the short list.

I can see the motives behind Stuart Broad, Frankie Dettori and Rory McIlroy, but none of them have been exceptional this year. Missing a Ronnie O'Sullivan under the same category.

KJT for me.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Watch the I Player, you'll get a much clearer picture of just how tough she is and what she went through to do what she has done. Her time may be coming to an end, I don't know, but I reckon she hasn't really recieved half the credit for what she has already achieved.
I hopped through the video on Eilish McColgan. Top British long distance runner and great Commonwealth Games 2022 results, but.
Athletics is primarily about beating the other best people in the races that matter, not trying to run faster than your mother did, or breaking Paula Radcliffe's long held records (appreciate it makes a good structure for the programme). Winners of the main races, and world record breakers get credit for those achievements: national records less so. Edit: Worth remembering that beating Radcliffe's records were in carbon plated shoes which is thought to give >3% advantage over runners (eg McColgan mater and Radcliffe) bitd.
She has been unable to win any year's main races (Olympics or Worlds): the African women dominate. She is currently #16 on the all time 10000m list and #31 on the all time 5000m list and (most recent Apr 23) #36 on the all time half marathon list.
Not clear to me "what she went through" which was not self-inflicted by training regime which didn't balance quantity, quality and types of training against the ability of her body to cope with it (a massively difficult balance to strike). Or was it just less luck than others aiming for the same extraordinary standards?
What is your "just how tough" metric? An athlete who trains hard for most weeks of the year? Join the club (of endurance (all sports) athletes).
Anyway the short list of 6 for the SPOTY has been chosen.
Hewett and KJT are the only world winners on that list. Broad would've had a chance if England had 'won'. I guess the masses will vote Earps in (she played her socks off).

Last edited:
It's a funny thing, sport, especially when comparing different events: you only have to beat whomever else turns up!

So if Australia had just played a few more stupid shots in the Ashes, we'd be celebrating an Ashes win and very likely awarding the SPOTYA award to a cricketer.

DRM

Guru
Has anyone mentioned Kevin Sinfield yet?

Not a chance, played the wrong version of his sport, in the wrong part of the country, never mind all the astounding charity runs he's done for Rob Burrow & Doddie Weir's MND charity, & even If he'd captained Great Britain/England R.L side to several sound thrashings of the Aussies & Kiwi's as well for good measure, he wouldn't get a look in

Top Bottom