Spraying Frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plodder

Hi everyone,

Just wondered if anyone can help pointing me in the right direction for spray paint advice. I have an aluminium frame and still currently has original cream paint work on it.

Do I need to strip, undercoat and spray or can I just spray over the top? I would like to go for a darker, maybe black, colour or maybe even a vivid green. Does it make any difference on the process if the colour is matt or shiny?

Lots of questions I know, but any help much appreciated.
Plodder

gbb

Legendary Member
Depending on how good you want it to look, spraying can do an ok job.
I did a MTB last year for my son.
Emery paper down as many chips as you can, it'll key the surface as well. I used black acrylic spray, it looks alright. Fastidiously clean the frame before spraying, i used thinners on a cloth, particually to get rid of dust and obviously oily deposits, they'll stop your paint from adhering.
Several light coats of spray then a couple coats of clear laquer on top. Co-incidentally, if you put laquer on, it'll end with a glossy finish anyway.

One year on, it still looks ok. There's a couple of chips, it will chip easier, but overall....it works.

tyred

Legendary Member
Since it's an alloy frame, I would suggest an etch primer for any parts that are down to bare metal.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I think you should carefully compare the costs of an ok diy job against a classy pro job. Ignoring the time and effort involved, bear in mind that most of your paint will be wasted as overspray, paint cans are not cheap and you need a dust free warm environment in which to apply it. When you have done that, you will have to wait three weeks while the paint hardens when you can then set about cutting the orange peel finish to a gloss.

A decent pro enamel finish may coast a bit more, but the peace of mind is well worth it. If you are prepared to have the frame powder coated, which is incredibly durable, then £40 would probably cover it.

Top Bottom